Friday, September 14, 2012

The Siren of Luxembourg

I'm actively working on Book 4 in the CURSE OF THE LOST ISLE series, LADY OF LUXEMBOURG. I am sharing my ups and downs. Ups, mainly, and a few downs. As I write, I realize how challenging is the task I set for myself. Making the reader believe in an immortal afflicted by a curse that makes her an ondine (siren, mermaid) from the waist down one day each month, is no small feat.

Of course, this is a medieval novel, and in the context of the time, it makes more sense. Also, this story was inspired by authentic legends from my native country, France. Legends resonate in our hearts, and even the staunchest scientists now admit that at the origin of these legends resides a kernel of truth. That's the kernel I've been chasing.

Then I discovered that if I believe in my immortal heroine, she breathes life on the page. Melusine is a woman, an immortal, a Fae, descended from angels predating Christianity. After a disastrous mistake, she now follows the righteous path. But for abusing her powers in childhood she is cursed. She seeks redemption, but if the Church ever discovers her true nature, she will burn at the stake....

CURSE OF THE LOST ISLE SERIES:
From history shrouded in myths, emerges a family of immortal Celtic Ladies, who roam the medieval world in search of salvation from a curse. For centuries, imbued with hereditary gifts, they hide their deadly secret... but if the Church ever suspects what they really are, they will be hunted, tortured, and burned at the stake.

If you missed this series, you can find the first three novels in one volume: PRINCESS OF BRETAGNE, PAGAN QUEEN, SEDUCING SIGEFROI, in kindle for a friendly price HERE

Here are athe blurbs for each novel:

PRINCESS OF BRETAGNE:

806 AD - Alba (Ancient Scotland) -
As the Vikings raid the coast of Alba, Pressine of Bretagne sets out to seduce King Elinas of Dumfries, chosen by the Goddess to unite the tribes against the foreign invader. Elinas, still mourning his departed queen, has no intention to remarry. Head-strong and independent, Pressine does not expect to fall for the very attractive, wise and noble ruler... Furthermore, her Pagan nature clashes with the religious fanaticism of the king’s Christian heir, who suspects her unholy ancestry and will stop at nothing to get rid of her.

Reviews:
"I really enjoyed Princess of Bretagne. Kind of reminded me of The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley, with its subtle references to Arthurian legend (I'm a sucker for anything Arthurian). Like Mists, you captured the historical period while weaving in the mystical elements. Since I now have my new kindle, I've added Pagan Queen to my TBR list. After the one I'm reading now, I might just bump it up a notch or two." Kathy Fisher-Brown, author

PAGAN QUEEN:

810 AD - Alba (Ancient Scotland) - Queen at last, Pressine brings victory to her beloved Elinas and prosperity to their growing kingdom. But she has to contend with the intrigues of Charlemagne's bishops, spurred by her Christian stepson. While Elinas, on the battlefield, remains unaware of his son’s machinations, Pressine fends off repeated assaults against her life. She also fears the curse that could bring her downfall. For the love of Elinas, she will tempt fate and become with child. But when her indomitable passion challenges the wrath of the Goddess Herself... can she win that battle?

Reviews:
"Schartz is an accomplished writer, whose pacing, conflicts, and goals are always complex and whose good characters are always likeable, and whose villains are evil incarnate. You have to like her villains as much as the good guys! Mattacks is a magnificent example of this!" - 5 stars - Manic Readers
"...details of the period making that long ago era of history feel alive and vibrant. She’s able to weave in the mystical in a manner that appears natural... Mattacks and his diabolical plans play an important role... he’s a creepy guy... unexpected happenings totally caught me off guard... great plot ploy that I can only assume will pull the series forward... I want to know more..." - Romance Junkies - 4 ribbons


SEDUCING SIGEFROI:

Luxembourg - 963 AD - To offset the curse that makes her a serpent from the waist down one day each month, Melusine, exiled Princess of Strathclyde, must seduce and wed a mortal knight, the shrewd and ambitious Sigefroi of Ardennes.
Sigefroi, son of the Duke of Lorraine, suspects Melusine is not what she appears, but her beauty, her rich dowry, and her sharp political skills serve his ambitions. He never expected her to soften his stone-cold warrior heart.
So close to the Imperial court, dangers and intrigue threaten Melusine. War looms on the horizon, a Mermaid was sighted around Luxembourg, and Sigefroi’s bishop brother questions her ancestry. If anyone ever suspects Melusine’s true nature, she will burn at the stake...

Reviews:
"As always, Schartz spins a great story. It’s a bit bloody and bloodthirsty in places... But that's part of the drama, and Schartz certainly knows drama." Manic Readers 4.5 stars

Happy Reading!

Find out more about me and all my books on my website at:
Find all my books on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive