Tuesday, October 21, 2014

You Can Come Home Again by Sandy Semerad


     Thomas Wolfe haunted me on my way to Geneva, Alabama. Wolfe wrote You Can’t Go Home Again, which was published after his death. The main character is an author, who discovers he’s not welcome in his hometown. He’d written about his town and its people, and they are angry enough to kill him.
     
     Thinking about this, my imagination went wild. As many writers, I’ve used creative license and the backdrop of my hometown Geneva, for scenes in Sex, Love and Murder and Hurricane House.
     
     In my latest book, A Message in the Roses, I wrote about a murder trial I covered as a reporter. That book is set in Atlanta, but many of its characters share traits and backstories of people I’ve known.

     Before I arrived in town, the Geneva Reaper ran an article on me and my books. The newspaper also stated that authors, craftsmen and artists would descend on Robert Fowler Memorial Park to celebrate Total Recall, Oct. 10. Anyone who had ever attended school in Geneva had been invited back. Tents and tables would be set up, where a variety of vendors and alumni were expected to gather.

     Like other southern towns, Geneva has fascinating personalities. Some of my dearest friends live there or nearby. This town (population about 4,300) is  renowned for the Constitution Oak, the oldest and largest live oak tree in the United States. Possibly the largest in the world. This oak has lived at least 500 years. It is 75 feet tall. The tree’s branches spread approximately 175 feet.
  
     Homecoming day in Geneva was hot and humid. No breeze rustled the stalwart branches of the Constitution Oak.

     Breeze or no breeze, I eagerly anticipated visiting with old friends, even though one friend had asked,“Remember the lady you mentioned in your first book, the one who hated your mother’s piano playing, the one who slept with the preacher?”

     I froze, unable to respond.

     “I knew that woman,” she added.

     In light of what happened in Thomas Wolfe’s book, I felt the need to explain myself. “I made up that story. I’m always making up stories in my head. As a child, I entertained myself by making up stories.”

     As my friend quietly studied me, I expounded on my entire writing process. I wanted her to know, I didn’t intentionally defame real life people in my books.

      I went on to explain how I write a back story for the main characters and give detailed descriptions. “I outline on note cards. Outlining keeps me on track,” I told her.

“When I begin the process of writing and typing the story, I’m in a zone,” I said. “I think I know my characters, but they’re always surprising me.”
“How long does it take you to write a book?” she asked.
“It depends. Once I’ve completed a rough draft, I read through the story again and fill in gaps. If I find common themes, I try to accentuate and weave those themes throughout. I’m always trying to create more conflict. And I ask my husband to read it and give suggestions. I also ask my writer friends to be brutally honest with their critiques. I’ve learned I can’t shove my baby out in the world before she’s ready. It’s helpful to let the manuscript sit for a week or two and come back to it with fresh eyes. Then I rewrite and rewrite and pray for perfection.”
            After I finished explaining my writing process, my friend said, “Hurry up and finish the sequel to A Message in the Roses. I want to know what happens to Carrie Sue and Marcus.”
            I hugged her and thanked her for reading my books. “It was great seeing you again,” I said. “Wonderful being back home in Geneva.” 
And indeed it was.

12 comments:

  1. I love the way you weave the process of creating your books with the experience of returning to a reunion. Very nice. Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Jude. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Sandy, Glad you went home again. I've read and loved your stories so do give us a sequel and I'll read it as well. Maybe you can go home again, but I won't go there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you've enjoyed my stories, Janet, but sorry you don't want to go home again. Many people, including writers, feel the same as you. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post. You had a good experience.
    No one I know is left in my tiny hometown, but I am still in touch with the girls I grew up with. It's very nice!
    In my dreams I wander the streets of that town still, in a much younger incarnation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often dream about my childhood friends from, Geneva, too, Diane, and when I returned at homecoming Total Recall, the new owners of my old house, where I grew up, gave me a tour. It was in disrepair, and kind of sad, but in my mind I imagined as it once was. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful, rewarding homecoming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Ann. Thank you for reading my blog. Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Hi Sandy, Enjoyed your post. I'm still very good friends with a few of the girls I ran around with in high school. We have so much fun remembering the past. However, the area we grew up in has changed, and not for the best. Sad to see how times change so much. Our once quiet town is now a fairly rough area. But like you Sandy, I still remember all the good times and wonderful people that lived there back in the day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tia Dani, I'd glad you could identify with my post. Thankfully, my little hometown of Geneva hasn't changed that much, except the live oak tree has grown, and as I mentioned in an earlier reply, the house I grew up in is in disrepair, but the new owner said he'd plan to fix it up. I hope he does. Hugs!

      Delete
  6. Ah, the problem with moving from one country to another on the far side of the world is that it is nigh on impossible to have a homecoming celebration after so many years. I envy you, Sandy, coming from a small town--one you can return to like that. I still keep in touch with some friends in London that I knew over 50 years ago, but doubt few others would remember me if I returned, except family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you've had the advantage of living in and experiencing many areas of the world, Tricia. As for me and reconnecting with my hometown friends, I'm grateful a classmate created nametags for us all, or I wouldn't have recognized everyone, even though facebook has helped me reconnect with several old and dear friends. Thank you for reading my post and sharing. Hugs!

      Delete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive