Thursday, August 2, 2018

Summer inspiration by J. S. Marlo


In the summer, I love sitting on the deck with my laptop, drink iced tea, and write. In my corner of the woods, we can only do this a few months, so we do enjoy every non-rainy day. I started a new series in the spring and my plan was to finish the first book before September--or at least the first draft. I'm usually pretty good with deadlines, even the ones I impose on myself for no reasons, but with 30 days left, it pains me to admit I'm no closer to write the word END than I was in May. So, what went wrong?
Well, it started with a cracked toilet tank. I had to install a new toilet before it leaks. Waiting wasn't an option. What derailed my plan was the detour I made through the laminate section of the hardware store when I went to buy a new toilet.
I've had the same carpet throughout my house for 22 years and I've been cursing it every time I clean it. I knew it needed to go, preferably sooner rather than later, but there was always other priorities. Anyway, when I walked through the laminate aisle, I saw that gorgeous laminate at 50% off. I just couldn't resist. Before I came back to my senses, I ordered 72 boxes, went home, and ripped a corner of the carpet so I wouldn't change my mind.
June and July were spent installing laminate in three bedrooms, two hallways, a living room, a dining room, and a flight of uneven stairs. I finished yesterday. This wasn't what I had planned on doing this summer, but I'm pleased sore and bruised, a little bit disappointed I didn't write a word,  but very pleased with the results.
With 30 days left and a writing conference to attend in Calgary next week, there is no way I will be able to finish Book One. I'll be lucky to write a quarter of it, but you know what, it's okay. While I was doing my floor, I mapped my entire Book Two in my head, and do you know what my heroine will be doing? She'll be installing laminate floor...in a prison.

Happy reading!
JS


No comments:

Post a Comment

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive