Saturday, November 25, 2017

The warmth of writing

Visit my BWL Author Page to purchase

Here we are in the chill of late November. This cold weather in Toronto has me thinking back to my Alberta days and “warmth food.”  This is not just to warm up the body. It also calms me and makes writing easier.
My A-list includes the classic, lasagna. A must, with lots of hot cheese and to make it a true treat for the tastebuds...spicy Italian sausage. All bases covered in the heat departement.
A Close second is an addition from my Ukrainian heritage. Good old borscht. It has both amazing flavour and the makings of an excellent Scrabble word if you are short on vowels. Yes, I’ve tried meatless, but it doesn’t have the as much meat on the bone as the classic recipe.
My favourite body-warmer is a recent addition to the culinary cavalcade of comfort cuisine. About fifteen years ago I was introduced to NongShim Shin Ramyun Noodles. In several words, they are amazing. Be aware that they are spicy. Add the packet of noodles to a pot containing 2 cups of boiled peas and you have a piping-hot meal. Each spoonful is a flavourful experience.
The one we pulled out of the oven this evening is officially accompanied by snow flurries and ice skating on the shore of frigid Lake Ontario. Brrrrring on the cabbage rolls. OK, I make “lazy cabbage rolls. We actually like them better. Kind of a casserole effect. More importantly, it takes 20 minutes to make rather than 2 hours. FYI, cayenne pepper is a must.


Honourable mention goes to perogies (especially fried),  beef stew, and New England Clam Chowder.
Stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive