Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Character Stereotype? by J. S. Marlo

  


The Red Quilt 
Sweet Christmas Story
 Click here to buy


 

 

  

I often travel to Scandinavian countries mainly because my daughter lives there. There's that stereotypes in movies that Scandinavian have blond hair and fair skin. Is it always true? No. If you have a Scandinavian character, you don't have to give him/her blond hair, but...

Hubby and I were taking a small regional plane from Copenhagen, Denmark, to Turku, Finland, late at night. The airport was almost empty. They're were maybe fifty people waiting at our gate. Men, women, children, and elderly.


As we arrived at our gate after a tight connection, I caught myself stopping in my tracks. Except for the elderly people with white/grey hair, everyone had blond hair. There was every possible shade of blond, but they all fell under the "blond" category.

My hubby has dark brown hair/brown eyes/darker complexion and I have light brown hair/green eyes/fair complexion. Still, we both stood out like a sore thumb, not that anybody paid us any attention, but it was striking, and it got me thinking about characters. Do I want my character to stand out in a crowd, or do I want him/her to blend in? The answer to that question should determine his/her appearance.

Some stereotypes are based on reality and they vary depending on where you are. Still, there are some combinations of physical traits that are way less common than others.


When it comes to natural hair colours, there are five main colours: red, blond, brown, black, and gray/white

- About 1%-2% of people wordwide have red hair (commonly found in Ireland and Scotland)

- About 3% have blond hair (commonly found in Northern Europe and Asia)

- About 11% have brown hair

- Somewhere between 80%-85% have black hair




When it comes to eye colours, there are five main colours: blue, green, hazel/amber, brown, and gray

About 1% of people wordwide have gray eyes

- About 2% have green eyes (more women than men have green eyes)

- Somewhere between 8%-10% have blue eyes

- About 10% have hazel/amber eyes

- Somewhere between 75%-80% have brown eyes 

And what is the rarest hair/eye colour combination worldwide?

- Red hair & Blue eyes

Next time I have a character on the lam, I'll make sure not to give him red hair and blue eyes... unless she's hiding in Ireland. 

Happy Reading,

J. S.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting information. My WIP heroine has dark skin, green eyes, and flaxen hair (in the future, all the races mix). Of course, I meant for her to stand out, and she does. Blondish with green eyed myself, however, I had no idea it was rare. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting! I've often thought that "White" people are a kind of albino, the white squirrels of the human tribe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Interesting stats. Thanks J.S. for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive