Thursday, August 20, 2026
Paying back history by Dean Hovey
Today, September 22, Anne Flagge (co-author of Whistling Librarian) and I will be signing books at "Twice Told Tales" from 10:00-1:00.
The bookstore is celebrating it's 20th anniversary and a part of their celebration, Anne and I will be local celebrities signing books. The bookstore is in the tiny Northen Minnesota town of Mahtowa, with a downtown that consists of TJ's General store, a bar, Twice Told Tales, and two churches.The last time I was there, Myra the Manager handed me a family tree and explained how Anne and I are her cousins. My mother was from Mahtowa, and over the course of that day half of the people who introduced themselves, showed me where they were on that family tree. Considering the town was founded by four brothers and their married sister, it's not too surprising there are a lot of people who share branches of that tree.
Mom married my father and moved away 80 years ago, but I still know where the family homestead is (about 1/2 mile from downtown), I know the Lutheran Church where they were married, and I know the local golfcourse is built on Uncle Dellie and Aunt Esther's farm. I also know that there's a piece of me there. Signing books there is an honor, not an obligation. If my presence will bring a few more people to town for the anniversary event, I am pleased to spend three hours there. I owe it to Mom, my grandparents and great grandparents, and all of the Peterson, Johnson, Carlson, Swanson, Woletlo, and Aho cousins who live there or populate the local cemetery. They are my Swedish/Danish/Finnish Family, the ones who hacked homesteads out of the pine forest, built log cabins, froze those bone-chilling -30 winters, and tried to eke a living out of the rocky and swampy soil.
Yes, I owe them a few hours of my time. Come to Mahtowa today if you get the chance. If not today, stop at the bookstore some other time and say hello to Cousin Myra. Tell her I sent you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
As most experienced authors will tell you, their characters become old friends and much of the book is nothing more than recording their c...
-
Visit https://bookswelove.net/yatscoff-e-r/ to purchase E.R. Yatscoff books If any of you readers are somewhat tired of ...
-
Roan Rose ISBN: 149224158X https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/roan-rose/id1023558994?mt=11 https://www.ama...
-
Happy Belated Birthday, Dear Wolfgang! 261 years young & still delighting audiences... http://www.bookswelove.net/autho...
-
The 8th century British writer Bede, mentions that the name for Easter is derived from a Pagan spring festival of the goddess AS...
-
Jillian of Banff: https://books2read.com/b/Jillian-of-Banff Barnes and Noble Amazon I got that feeling again. It bub...
-
Find all of Eden Monroe's Books here The age of riverboats began in the Eastern Canadian province of New Brunswick in the early 1800’s...
-
By Gail Roughton Jude Pittman and I have a multi-faceted relationship. She’s my publisher, my writing partner, my friend. Our lives hav...
-
Click here for purchase info Ask almost any author of historical fiction and we'll tell you we love doing the research for our books a...
-
Recently I saw a wonderful musical from the early fifties, "Showboat." Whenever I mention this movie to a friend, I invar...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are now live if we don't have a lot of spam they'll stay live, if we do they'll close again so spammers don't waste our time or yours