Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Ghost Writing



As someone who sits down daily and tries to plunk out a least a few paragraphs of a work-in-progress, I'm highly annoyed at the publicity and fame many have enjoyed because of the talents of their ghost writer. I'm not sure I understand how there can be any feeling of accomplishment on the part of the so-called author, when the closest they came to creating the novel was verbally relaying information to someone else. But let's face it, you can't live on pride alone.


From the monetary perspective, I think I chose the wrong profession. I should have tried my hand at ghost-writing. According to Wikipedia, although some ghost writers are hired to polish a completed manuscript, most are hired to write the entire novel. Information garnered as I read made me nauseous. It's reported that ghost writers for 'big name authors' contracted by NY publishers receive anywhere from $30,000 to $100,000 from the 'author's' advance. At the time the information was compiled, Hilary Clinton's memoirs had not yet been completed, but it was estimated that her ghost writer would receive $500,000 from Hilary's eight million dollar advance. Cough, gasp, vomit! What about her life is memorable enough to warrant eight million dollars when people are starving to death in America???


Barak Obama used a ghost writer to pen his novel, too. It makes me wonder if he is able to sign necessary documents in the oval office, or dose someone do it for him. *lol*

2 comments:

  1. I worked as a ghost writer for a time but this was non fiction and yes, it paid well but writing for doctors is a different thing from writing novels. I stopped when one of the doctors wanted me to write a book about livers. All I could think of was Love Your Liver and kept cracking up. There are two of the three where I received my name on the cover. It was an interesting time but I'd rather write fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not long ago, I read something written by a ghost writer who felt cheated after all was said and done. True, the money was wonderful, but very little recognition is received by those who write fiction or autobiographies for others. I'm glad you decided to write for yourself....I love your style.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive