Thursday, November 13, 2014

Writing About What You Know by Joan Donaldson-Yarmey


       
       I took many writing courses and bought just about every book I could find on writing when I was an aspiring writer. In the classes and in most books I was told to write about what I knew. I had to experience life before I could write about it. I also found out that to compensate for lack of knowledge many writers do months of research to get an understanding of the subject they want to write about. They learn what a lawyer would say in court or what a pilot would do in a certain situation.
       But it is the hard emotion that goes with any experience that is hard to duplicate. We have all been scared, but how many of us have felt a deep-seated fear that is immobilizing? We have all felt sadness, but how many of us have had our sadness lead to depression and suicidal thoughts? Experiencing the emotions make it almost effortless to write about them in an authoritative voice.
       Plus, living a certain lifestyle makes it easier to describe that way of life. Many writers do dredge up life’s trauma to make their writing more believable. And many authors have turned their unusual upbringing into bestselling fiction and non-fiction. Take for example, the non-fiction bestseller Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt. To make up a childhood like Frank’s would be tough for someone who has not lived it.
       When I was doing my assignments for class I tried to write about what I knew but it was hard to make something exciting out of something so boringly normal. So I wrote the following poem.

 
What I Know

 
My parents never divorced, they
seldom even fought. I was not
abused, not emotionally,
physically, mentally.
I was never raped.
I was not kicked
out of the
house.
I
did not
live on the
streets. I do not
smoke. I don’t do drugs.
I’ve never had a merciless,
pounding hangover. I have not
been in an accident. I have not had a
serious, debilitating, life-threatening illness.
                    I am no minority.
                    I am not disabled.
                    I have no physical
                    deformity. I have
                    not been a victim
                    of a crime, nor am
                    I a shady criminal.
     I have not been discriminated against.
              I am not a lesbian. I am not gay.
                      I am not too skinny nor am
                           I overweight. I have not
                               loved and lost; I have
                                  not lost a loved one
                                        I am not too tall
                                               or too short.
                                                                 I
                                                    certainly
                                               do not stand
                                           out in a crowd.
                                         I have not, at all
                                  been very noticeable
                  With such an ordinary, tedious
           mundane, uneventful life, how will
I ever be able to write about what I know?


       My first published article was about an injured hawk my son and I had found alongside the highway and how we looked after it for a few days until it was able to fly away. Then I tried historical and travel articles. I progressed into travel books, writing seven about what there is to see and do along the roads of British Columbia, Alberta, the Yukon, and Alaska.
       I have loved reading mysteries since I was a child so I decided to try my hand at a mystery novel. Since I knew about travel writing, I made my main character a travel writer. She gets drawn into solving murders while researching places for her travel articles.
       So my experiences have made it possible for me to write about what I know.

 
http://thetravellingdetectiveseries.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/writingsbyjoan

 
Books of The Travelling Detective Series boxed set:
Illegally Dead
The Only Shadow In The House
Whistler's Murder

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PEOSJR8

16 comments:

  1. Great post, Joan! My youngest son, when he was about 18 or 19, once made the comment, "Young people shouldn't try to write books, they haven't lived anything to write about yet." Wise beyond his years, that boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail. I'm glad you liked my post and your son is smart.

      Delete
  2. Very good, Joan. Loved the poem, and you have good insight. Sometimes real life is boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'm glad you liked my poem. I actually managed to get it published a few years ago.

      Delete
  3. I felt the same way, how could I write about my mundane boring life. I published two articles for Good Old Days Magazine and one for Nostalgia. I also love mystery and romance, so that's what I write. Some of my characters are older, like me. It's fun to write about what you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you do write so well, Roseanne. I look forward to reading more of your books when I get home.

      Delete
  4. Love that poem Joan, it just sums it all up - fortunately like you I'm a mystery writer with my own detective, so I'm able to vicariously live through his experiences; and of course its so much fun to pick someone who really does deserve to be bashed over the head, and let your villian loose on them. Great post. Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jude. Yes, being able to let the inner us out in our books is fun.

      Delete
  5. An entertaining post, Joan, and I smiled as I read your poem.

    Sydell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Joan. Well, you may have lived a "boring" life like me, but you certainly pen a great mystery.

    Regards
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. I look forward to reading more of your books when I get back home.

      Delete
  7. Great post. Your poem was interesting. I read the same advice so I began writing about nurses and doctors since I was a nurse. Witnessing other people's grief and laughter helped me make my characters come alive. I do enjoy your mysteries having read most of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet. I have expanded my writing to include mystery/romance with my latest novel. I have to expand my reading so when I get home from my holidays I will be purchasing some of yours. They certainly look interesting.

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your poem Joan. I think 'write what you know' is the advice nearly all new writers get and sometimes what they know can be pretty weird! Makes for great stories though as your travel mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria. Yes, as the saying goes, truth is stranger than fiction.

      Delete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive