Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Passion for Reading by Victoria Chatham

With Christmas just days away, I'm hoping that among my gifts, if I'm lucky enough to receive any, will be a book. A real book. 

Yes, I have a Kindle and a tablet and buy ebooks from Amazon, but I love the lure of real books, the flow of words, the feel and smell of old paper. As Helene Hanff says in 84 Charing Cross Road: ‘I’m almost afraid to handle such soft vellum and heavy cream-colored pages. Being used to the dead-white paper and stiff cardboardy covers of American books, I never knew a book could be such a joy to touch’. I adore the sensory perception instilled by such writers as Anita Diamant (The Red Tent) who describes Rachel as ‘smelling like water’ and in Marek Halter’s Sarah, the first book in his Canaan Trilogy, ‘Abram smiled and the wings of his beautiful lips seemed to fly away’. In The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini describes how ‘suddenly, just like that, hope became knowledge’.

Along with a passion for words comes a passion for dictionaries and Thesauri, books on writing and grammar. And, for those of you who may suspect otherwise, I do have a sense of humor! My favorite grammar book is a saucy little number by Laurie Rozakis, The Comma Sutra, whose first chapter on the vagaries of the English language is entitled ‘How We Got Into This Mess’.

There are books, books and more books and never enough time to read them all. But read I must. The authors I read and reread spill from my bookshelves onto piles on the floor beside the shelves, are stacked on and under my coffee tables and nightstand, beside me on my bed and tucked behind the cushion in my chair.

As children, my cousins and I all had the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic instilled in us before we marched up the steps of the school we all attended. Ahead of our time, we were separated in class because, bored mindless with the inanity of A is for Apple, we became recognized troublemakers. But books kept us quiet, and we were given books in plenty to read quietly to ourselves.

The first book I remember being given as a birthday present was Alison Uttley’s Little Grey Rabbit. Then along came Beatrix Potter’s Peter Rabbit. The children’s classics: Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass followed when I was five, Anna Sewell’s Black Beauty when I was six and Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island when I was seven. Am I blessed with a brilliant memory? Sometimes. But now, more years later than I care to admit, I still have these books with loving inscriptions from my parents.

When I turned eight years old there was a big jump in my reading material with titles that would probably be quite alien to eight year olds today. R.D Blackmore’s Lorna Doone, Herman Melville’s Moby Dick, James Fenimore Cooper’s The Last of the Mohicans, W.H Ainsworth’s Windsor Castle and Charles Kingsley’s Westward Ho! As a teenager my school reading included D.H. Lawrence’s Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Frank T. Bullen’s The Cruise of the Cachalot (about sperm whales) and, of course, William Shakespeare and Jane Austen. Following in my father’s footsteps I read Rudyard Kipling’s Just So Stories and The Jungle Book, also Stalky & Co and Soldiers Three and a personal favorite Thy Servant, A Dog.

Somewhere in my thirteenth year I discovered romance, particularly Regency historical romance and became a lifelong fan of Georgette Heyer. I still have my first edition copy of Frederica, which I read at least once a year and still find as fresh and as funny as the first time I read it. And there have been many, many first reads – too many to recount here. Books that I have loved and lost have come back to me via searches on www.alibris.com and www.abebooks.com. I’ll sometimes take a day and browse used bookstores – although this is dangerous territory for me as I’ll more likely not find what I am looking for but come home with new and exciting treasures.

There are books, books and more books and never enough time to read them all. But read I must. The authors I read and reread spill from my bookshelves onto piles on the floor beside the shelves, are stacked on and under my coffee tables and nightstand, beside me on my bed and tucked behind the cushion in my chair. My tastes these days are many and varied but this world, for all the technology available to us today, would be a much poorer place without the rich heritage we have of books, of the joy of language and the sheer pleasure to be found in the reading before we ever begin the writing.

To find out if Victoria receives a book for Christmas check out these links:

www.bookswelove.com/chatham.php
www.victoriachatham.webs.com
www.amazon.com/author/victoriachatham
www.facebook.com/AuthorVictoriaChatham

16 comments:

  1. We are kindred spirits Victoria (Anne in Anne of Green Gables said that! It was one of my favourites as a child) I recognised so many of your titles too and still have copies of lots of them. Like you, books have always been my life line and I can remember getting into trouble at school because I always finished the class reading book while others were still on the first chapter. It's an addiction but a good one,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And just who were the pundits who forecast that ereaders would see the end of print books? Hah! They obviously didn't count on people like us.

      Delete
  2. I agree, Victoria. Nothing like the feel and smell and thrill of reading a classic. I cherish my old books and enjoy rereading them from time to time. Hugs and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy. My most expensive book ever was an illustrated copy of Wind in the Willows for which I paid well over $100, but the feel and the smell of the paper alone was worth it!

      Delete
  3. Victoria, Enjoyed your post. Like you, I read and re-read books. I often go on binges where I read every book I can find by a certain author. My greatest memory was of being 4 and getting my won library card and deciding to read every book in the library. Didn't manage them all. In third grade I read and wrote a book report on Anna Karenina and wanted to rewrite the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful that you got your Library card so young, what a great memory. I don't remember when I got my first library card. How did you want Anna Karenina to end? Maybe that's a New Year post?

      Delete
    2. I said she was dumb and she should have lived and spited him

      Delete
  4. Yes, Victoria--I too remember these with a sigh of contentment. Lovely post. (())

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliet, good books are like good friends - they are always there for you.

      Delete
  5. Hi Victoria, yes, I share your love for print books. They have a perfume all of their own, even the feel of them, something an e-reader (handy as it is) can never match. Your reading habits as a child sound much like mine.

    Cheers

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about an ereader is it's so handy when I travel - 300 odd titles to pick from and no weight to worry about!

      Delete
  6. Vicki, I love to read, also, but was never as advanced as you in my reading. I have enough books to start a library, and I enjoy all of them. Too bad more young people don't discover the joys of reading. But they're too busy iwth their gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Shirley - was talking to a Mom yesterday and she was telling me every child going into Grade 7 at her kids' school has to have a laptop!

      Delete
  7. Ah, Lorna Doone, I have a very early tattered copy of it that my husband found on a stall at a market years ago. Alice in Wonderland was one of my first Christmas gifts, and I have a treasured boxed copy of Wuthering Heights that was gifted to me years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those finds great? Calgary has a book fair every year in June. It started as just a Friday event and now runs two full weekends in a row. Books are donated and if you take them to a fire hall the guys take them to the market for free. $20 gets you a bag of books. Proceeds from the sale goes to a charity to help young people get off the streets. I believe the books that are left over get shipped to third world countries to help people with their English reading. I donate books every year but easily replace them all. I've never seen a boxed copy of Wuthering Heights, but that's another old friend.

      Delete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive