Monday, December 8, 2014

Christmas Traditions Warm the Heart by Betty Jo Schuler







     Christmas Eve, late at night, my husband Paul and I pour a glass of
wine, sit on the floor by our fragrant long-needled pine, the room lit
only by the tree's soft lights, and exchange gift-wrapped boxes
containing ornaments we bought one another.  This tradition began
twenty-five years ago, the year we met, when he gave me a breathtaking
bauble—a clear glass pear-shaped ornament containing a partridge and a
pear tree.  Every Christmas Eve since, we've exchanged ornaments in a
special moment of quiet, peace, and love.  A Candlelight Service at our
church, early in the evening, followed by family gift-giving at my
mother's, sets the tone for this special night.

     Our Christmas tree, cut from the forest days earlier, is decked
with love and memories, and on this particular night, we reminisce.
There's a tiny red-and-white striped stocking, yellowed over the years,
that I bought the year my first son was born.  (Paul wasn't a part of my
life then; we married when my youngest son was in high school, but they
are like his own and he's a beloved stepfather.)  A "God's Eye" made of
Popsicle sticks woven with yarn nestles in the branches, a gift made by
our first grandson, his initials on the back, written in crayon.
Picture-frame ornaments with photos of other grandchildren, when they
were small, evoke tender memories.  A smiling ice cream cone, a gift
from my daughter and her husband, marks the sale of my first published
children's book, Ice Cream for Breakfast.  A china bell with shamrocks,
brought from Ireland, and a gold cross from Rome, are mementos from my
youngest son and his wife's travels.  Paul's and my trips are noted too,
and there are decorations given to us by his brother and sister, and
mine, and my favorite cousin.  Beaded candy canes and wreaths were made
by an aunt that's deceased.     And the lights that bubble around the
bottom of our Christmas tree were purchased only a few years ago, but
reminders of Paul's childhood, they still intrigue little ones. The
quilted tree skirt, hidden by piles of gifts before our family opening,
bears a large green S on a background of red and white—a treasured gift
made by our daughter-in-law.  Our middle son and his wife gave us
appropriate ornaments for our interests, a golf club for my husband and
a book for me.

     The day we take our ornaments, some shimmering, some dulled by the
years, from their boxes, is a special one at our house.  Most of the
boxes are labeled with the date, and a description, but others are
labeled in our minds.  And each year on the night before Christmas, we
reminisce.   

Merriest Christmas Ever by Betty Jo Schuler  



6 comments:

  1. I love Christmas and traditions and this one is beautiful. There's nothing better than reminiscing about special Christmas ornaments. I have several of those also. When my children were little I bought them an ornament each year. When they married, I gave them all their ornaments and had to replace mine or my tree would be empty. I wish I had continued the tradition after they married. I might just start it up again. Thanks for sharing a part of your Christmas with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love decorating the tree. I still buy an ornament for children and now grandchildren every year. There's usually a theme. I also have one ornament from my parents' tree they is glass and fragile but every year I place it high on the tree. The hanger is what amazes me. Green wool from a sweater my mother knit. Happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a collection of ornaments given to me over the years. They are all in storage right now so this year I am sharing my friends' traditions and memories. Loved reading your post Betty Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful shared magic moment of your Christmases, wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story. I adore hearing about other people's Christmas traditions.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive