Saturday, September 2, 2017

The Birth of Song of Memories by Roberta Grieve






More than 20 years ago I was off work with flu, lying on the sofa, listening to the radio. The programme was called ‘The Man who was Sammy’  

This is the clipping from Radio Times which sparked my idea for the story.


The programme ended with the brother and sister reunited He had escaped from the gulag, a story stranger than fiction. This gave me the germ of an idea for a novel – the story of a woman separated from her lover when he is arrested and sent to the gulag. And how she never gives up hope that they will be reunited. I played about with the idea for ages but it didn’t get any further. After all, what did I know of Stalin’s Russia?

However, it seemed that the idea would not go away and over the years several things came together. I read a book called The Long Walk about 3 men escaping from the gulag, (Subsequently made into a film called The Way Back. Then, while working in the library, I came across a book called ‘I was a Soviet Worker’. It was by an American who had been invited to the USSR to work in a factory and help the Soviets in Stalin’s Five Year Plan.

So there I had the bones of a story – I knew it was possible to escape, and I had a legitimate reason for my British heroine and her lover being in Moscow in the 1930s.

All I had to do now was put it all together in a romantic novel  - and do a lot more research of course. It was the first book I actually finished. It went through many revisions over the years but each time I sent it out it came winging back – many times. Finally I gave up and got on with my next novel. Happily now, after having eight novels and nine novellas published, ‘Song of Memories’ had found a home with Books We Love and has just been published in paperback and as an E-book.

It has certainly vindicated the advice given to writers – ‘never throw anything away’.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive