Wednesday, October 25, 2017

When will I wake up to winter

Coming soon. Click here to see my other novels.http://www.bookswelove.com/authors/sawka-randall-western-suspense-canada/
I wonder whether I can figure out the weather in Toronto.
As a Prairie boy the winter arrived early and stayed late. The parka and toque and mitts were in the closet. There was no debate about what I would wear between November and March. Those five months were cold with the odd few days where you could sneak outside wearing a sweater. Brrrrr.
In 1986 we moved to the wet and warmer Victoria, BC. This was a different world. It was November of that year and I was golfing in a long-sleeve tee shirt and jeans. As usual I hit the ball into the trees. The little rascal was only a few feet in this time. However, It knew where to hide. It was under a fern. A fern was something in a living room, not in the bush. As the three decades in Victoria passed, my “winter” clothes disappeared. Rainwear? That was kept handy.
Now settled in Ontario, we were preparing ourselves for the onslaught of winter. But wait, it turns out Toronto is not really Ontario. OK, it is in Ontario. Let’s get back to clothes. I asked six people what is required in winter in this big city. The answers varied. Those lacking my built-in insulation insisted on thick down jackets with zippers and buttons to keep out the wind off the lake. Most people suggested a “medium” weather jacket and an additional sweater if a cold front popped in for a visit.
I decided to check the temperature averages. It turns out that the average high is -1 in January. Not bad. Not good. But, not bad. So I decided to go with the good old pea coat. The next day I stopped in to the store and was told they had a few but the main stock would be arrive in late October. This is not prairie weather. In fact, we are still waiting to see our first Ontario fall colour show. Still not here.

Bottom line. Living in a big city in a microclimate means I won’t have to chill out. Now I will go for a long walk as it will be 21c today. October 21. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive