Monday, January 22, 2018

The New Year's Grandpa Blues



The New Year’s Grandpa Blues 
(there’s a song in there somewhere)


New year, new grandpa. Crap! Means I’m old. Don’t feel old. Do I look old? Okay, no looking at my wrinkles, or the arctic blonde that is quickly taking over my hair.
As one gets older you begin to ask yourself questions, like;
Should I take my pension early?
Should I eat that third bit of cheese? (Does it really matter?)
Maybe I should have gone to the gym more.
Why haven’t I hiked the new boardwalk trail through the Avatar Grove?
What the hell is this crazy person talking about?
I have hiked the world famous West Coast Trail. Way back in the eighties, when I wasn’t old, with my equally-not-as-old then girlfriend. We were a day in, around twenty kilometers or so (that’s maybe twelve miles for you imperialists!) and found out a major storm was coming. We swiftly turned tail but did not make it before the storm broke. We hiked through the downpour and waded several rising creeks (which were only ankle deep on the way out, now mid-thigh!), otherwise we’d be stranded at that beach campground for several days, squishing around in soggy hikers, a feeling one never forgets!
Quite bizarre, the behaviour of West Coast Trail seagulls. As we walked through the flock, it parted like the Red Sea, rising over us in one wave, settling again behind us. Mid-point we were lost in a cloud of feathers and beaks. I kept thinking, man, I hope they haven’t seen the movie, The Birds. I was beginning to feel like Tippi Hedren.
Ah, those fantastic hiking memories. But as that trail is seventy-five kilometers long it is not a spur-of-the-moment thing. Plan, people, plan! If it’s an easy day-trip you’re after, hike the Avatar trail. You’ll find it a couple of hours west of Victoria, just below the terminus of the West Coast Trail at Port Renfrew. Only three kilometers in length. Nice leisurely stroll, picnic, hug a tree or three, stroll back.





Man, there’s some awesome trees around there. Avatar Grove is home to Canada’s Gnarliest Tree. Just north stands Big Lonely Doug, Canada’s second largest Douglas Fir. To the east, the Red Creek Fir, the largest Douglas Fir in the world, and the Harris Creek Spruce, the world’s oldest Sitka Spruce. Tree lover’s paradise.
Avatar Grove is a boarded trail, easy to use. Go stare at Gnarly’s burls and swirls. What will you see? Old spirits? Or Earthen beings being born?
Maybe Gnarly tree is welcoming a beautiful new grand-daughter as well. Hope you enjoy Grand-being-ship too. Oh, and have a Happy New Year.


This Blog dedicated to 
Karolena Bowie Brzokoupil
Born January 8th, 2018
Purchase at Amazon

Purchase at Amazon


Purchase at Amazon


Sincerely
Frank Talaber

Frank Talaber’s Writing Style? He usually responds with: Mix Dan Millman (Way of The Peaceful Warrior) with Charles De Lint (Moonheart) and throw in a mad scattering of Tom Robbins (Even Cowgirls Get The Blues). 
PS: He’s better looking than Stephen King (Carrie, The Stand, It, The Shining) and his romantic stuff will have you gasping quicker than Robert James Waller (Bridges Of Madison County).
Or as is often said: You don’t have to be mad to be a writer, but it sure helps.


Writer by soul. Words born within. 
Karma, the seed. Paper, the medium.  
Pen, the muse. Novels, the fire.


https://www.facebook.com/FrankTalaber/
https://www.facebook.com/franktalaberpublishedauthor/ (My facebook short story page)
(PS, Be kind and give me a like on my Facebook Page, ah come on you know you really want to and I'll return the favor.)
http://bwlpublishing.ca/authors/talaber-frank-suspense-urban-fantasy-canada/



No comments:

Post a Comment

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive