Thursday, January 25, 2018

Time and Writing


Visit my BWL author page to purchase
Visit my BWL author page to purchase
What is “time” in the modern author’s world? Several decades ago it meant how many minutes you sat with pen in hand or in front of a typewriter. Yesterday I sat back and spent some time mulling over how it relates to my writing. So, I will try and put down words that relay how the seconds, minutes, hours, and days affect my writing.
I think the overall effect of the lightning-fast communication world is a help. Years ago I would have to pull research information on the living conditions of cowboys in the Wyoming mountains from my tired old Compton’s Encyclopedias or, more likely, go to the public library. In order to not disrupt the flow of my writing I would Put a large question mark in the spots that needed study and spend an afternoon at the library with a steno pad searching for details on a handful of topics.

Now I sit at a coffee shop…
...with priority given to places with reliable wifi. The instant information is a huge time saver. As well, I save some digital ink by eliminating the question mark in my work. When we travel I insist on strong WIFI in our accommodations.
So, it’s stetsons off to modern technology. Of course, I never get distracted by texts, emails, reading other blogs, or surfing the web. Really, I don’t. Well, actually I just did. Now, where was I?
The success of this streamlined research technique can be viewed in my novels Rangeland Ruckus and Raining trouble.

1 comment:

  1. Thank to the author for sharing his workspace and working process with us! It's really interesting to know, what stands behind other's work. I'm mostly do a freelance writing on academic topics for a writing resources like https://vip-writers.com or similair, i'm hoping to publish my book one day to. I'm very easy distracted with the internet, so my research phase of writing takes a lot of time(((

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive