Sunday, June 17, 2018

For The Birds - Janet Lane Walters #BooksWeLoveLTD #Mfrwauthor #chickens #Robins #Bkue jays


For The Birds

 

Murder and Sweet Tea (Mrs Miller Mysteries Book 6)

 

            What better kind of cover when one is talking about their encounters with birds than a cat who would protect me. Now, I have no fear of birds when they’re soaring high in the sky. I even watched the eagle who nested near our grocery store one year but it stayed away from me. So I will tell you about my bird stories.

            My latest encounter –

The Case of the Brazen Robin

             Every time I go out to water the plants, a brazen large robin appears. The bird lands about a year from me. That is too close for comfort. As I move along the line of roses, the bird moves to the amount of distance remains the same. Now he might be looking for worms. At least I hope so. I have no desire to pet a bird. Do robins get rabies?

 

The Case of Saved by the Cat

            We have a large front yard and a small one in the back that’s well shaded by trees. A great place to sit on hot afternoons. Also at the time the gripp was back there. I was preparing dinner. Our second cat, Nosey sat with me. I’m sure he really wanted to see if he could scarf some burger scraps. I had just turned the burgers when a blue jay rocketed from the tree headed straight at me. I tried to run. Then Nosey leaped and the bird was caught and taken away into the shaded trees. I saved the cat some scraps of meat.

 

The Sour Cherry Tree Rescue

            Years ago, in our yard, we had a sour cherry tree. I love sour cherry pie and the tree was filled. I persuaded my mother to pay me for picking cherries since she froze them so we had cherry pies often. My dad liked them, too. I had finished picking ten quarts from the lower branches. The tree was wide and tall and there were more cherries. I took the ladder and propped it and climbed the ladder to reach the berries. Suddenly I was attacked by a bird. Looked like an eagle to me but it really was a robin. Maybe there was a nest but this bird was having no part of my intrusion. I started screaming and protecting my face from this fluttering creature. My mother came out. All I could do was yell “The bird. The bird.” She had a broom and she came out and started hitting the branches. The bird flew away and I came down. The high cherries remained unattainable. Did the bird want the fruit or was she like my mother protecting?

 

The Chicken Chase

            We used to visit my grandmother. She kept chickens. These days one would call them free range. I don’t like them and the feeling was mutual. Not the rooster. His only bad hbit was waking up early. He was rather cowardly so all one had to do was stomp a foot and he scurried away. Not the hens. They never bothered my cousins or my siblings but they delighted in ganging up on me. During my visits there, I seldom ventured off the porch since I knew if I did those hens would come for me.

 

The First Bird Attack

And this is how my fear of birds began. I was about three year old. My father and I used to walk from our house to a lovely wooded park not far from out apartment. We went to feed the chipmunks and I remember touching one or more of the timid creatures. You had to be very still and quiet to tempt them to come near. I had a nut in my hand when suddenly a bird, a large bird flew from a branch in the tree. The bird punched into my thumbnail and it hurt. I screamed, I dropped the nuts and fled to my father. There was a drop of blood. The chipmunks had vanished. All I can remember is saying “Bad bird. Don’t like birds.”

 

            So now you can see why I’d rather have my birds high in the sky or even in a cage.

 

 

MY PLACES

 

            https://twitter.com/JanetL717



 


 

 http://wwweclecticwriter.blogspot.com

 

BUY MARK

http://bookswelove.net/authors/walters-janet-lane-romance-fantasy-suspense-medical/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive