Sunday, March 10, 2019

In the "Olden" Days

Find my books here


In the “Olden” Days

            I’m sure almost everyone on Facebook has seen the video of two teenagers trying to dial a number on an old rotary style telephone.  For those my age, you probably laughed at their attempts. For those born after the 70s, you may have wondered as those teens did, just how that contraption worked.
            As I watched that video, I thought of other things that had changed over the years, especially in the field of novel writing. I used to go to the library on a regular basis to do research for my novels. I used a card catalog to look up subjects to see if there were any books available. There were encyclopedias and atlases, and row after row of non-fiction books full of facts on anything I needed. If my library didn’t have anything on a particular subject, I could usually get something on inter-library loan, where one library would mail a book to another.  (This worked pretty well except for the time I needed information on indigo and the first book that came in was written in German.)
            Then, once my research was done and my manuscript written, the long process of submission started. With no internet and email, first class letters were sent, always with an SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope) for a reply from the publishing company. Unless you were an established author, first a query letter was sent, consisting of a letter of introduction and a synopsis of the story; sometimes a first chapter. If you received a positive reply, you usually sent the first three chapters, again by first class mail and with another SASE. Each submission was followed by anywhere from six or more weeks of waiting. If you received a nod on the first chapters, you submitted the full manuscript and again you waited. The entire process could take up to a year or more, but in the meantime you were working on your next book. Even when a manuscript was accepted, it might not be published for more than a year.
            What a difference technology makes! That old rotary telephone was replaced by a push button model, then a cordless, then a push button cell phone. Even that has been upgraded to a voice activated model so that you can “call grandma” without pushing a single button. (I simply activated the speaker on Google search and asked when the rotary phone was replaced with push buttons – 1963.)
Not only is research information available with the touch of a finger, virtual sites allow an author to “visit” places without leaving their office. I can even visit my library online when looking for a particular subject or book.
The process of manuscript submission has also changed to keep up with the times. Often queries can be made via email. The post office no longer gets my double fees for submission and SASE as a simple attachment is all I need when asked to submit a manuscript whether it is a partial or complete novel. Acceptance time and publication can be quicker so that you don’t have time to work on a new book before the edits on the current one are in your “in” box. (This is not always the case, but as with instantaneous information, things tend to speed up in this century.)
            One thing for me as an author that hasn’t changed is research on my setting. Whenever possible, I visit the setting of my current work. There is nothing better than wandering through a museum of 1850 artifacts, or walking through the streets of Boston soaking up the sounds and smells and feel of history. The feel of salt water spray on my face as a wave breaks gives me words that are hard to conjure while sitting at a desk with snow raging outside. These words help me construct a scene so my reader can also hear the sounds of rebels in Boston defying the British. They can taste the salt on their lips and hear the roar of the waves as our ship careens through a tumultuous storm at sea.
            One of the many benefits of the modern age for you as a reader is you have immediate access to many great books. Whether you love the feel of an actual book in your hands or prefer to read on an ebook reader or your computer, a wonderful world to explore is at your fingertips. All you have to do is visit www.bookswelove.com  for all the adventure, mystery, history or romance you are craving.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I began a bit before you did and that was when for fiction you submitted the entire manuscript. Your query letter went in the box with that. There was also the joy of receiving a rejection in the box you sent the mss off and finding coffee rings or cigarette burns meaning you had to type the mss again on that old manual machine. Keep writing

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive