Saturday, May 25, 2019

The Arts are Calling


https://books2read.com/The-Baganti-Attack

I find writing takes me in different directions. While novel writing is central, I have moved into other areas over the years. Screenplays and stage plays were next. I find them fun and fairly easy. More-or-less an outline of a story. Seeing them come to live was cool.
A few years ago I decided to try my hand ad music lyrics. Tricky for someone with no musical abilities. Several times I tried to collaborate with established musicians. Each time it never quite fit. Frankly, I needed to polish up my material. As well, I had to try and put myself in the shoes of the music writer. Hmm. It just didn’t seem to work. A musical friend suggested I simply learn an instrument. Been there. Failed at that. Piano? Nope. However, I wish it were possible. I tried guitar in my mid-fifties. Ouch. My fingers were not flexible enough.
My friend had tried to guide me through getting my head around the feel and rhythm of music.
He had patience but I was lost.
One morning my friend popped by for coffee with a suggestion. Give the ukulele a try.
My first thought was how would my fingers find their way around those tiny instruments. He mentioned that they came in different sizes.
I mulled the option and decided to dive in. Not literally. Ukuleles are made of wood. However, within a couple days I learned the basic four chords. I was quite easy. Next I played around with them. Soon enough I created my own little “tunes”. They were basic, but, they were mine. Quite fulfilling. I put writing songs aside and grew my list of chords. Within a week I could play Four Strong Winds, Let It Be, and a little CCR. Yippie. I have a successful start and a couple sore finger tips. I will wait a few months and begin putting music to my words.
Ukulele lesson time. Coffee cup at the ready. Yes, I know, that is not a ukulele I'm holding. it's a guitar-ukulele. I'll stick to four fun strings, thank you very much.


2 comments:

  1. Good luck to you in your new venture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know several people who have great fun and a lot of social activity because they play the ukulele or a version thereof. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive