Saturday, May 11, 2019

When Has a Series Run Its Course? by Karla Stover





Let me preface this by saying it's an opinion piece. Others, and I hope they weight in, will have different ideas but as a writer, I'm always evaluating what I read and why I like or weary of something.

Let the comments begin.

I was sad when Sue Grafton died because after 25 books, I never got tired of her protagonist, Kinsey Milhoune. However, the Stephanie Plum books quickly wore thin. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the Flavia de Luce books but no longer care for the Maise Dobbs books. Why, or is it just me?

As I write, I've been puzzling over the issue of "when is it time to retire your protagonist?"

Let's consider the above using the 3-legged stool of writing, allotting 1/3 each to Place, Plot, and Protagonist.

In my humble opinion, Grafton did a good job, creating clever, believable plots, varying the locations enough to be interesting, but keeping Kinsey as an interesting working woman without too many changes to her life, friends, or personality. I'd say her books were, maybe, 40%, 40%, and 20% respectively.

On the other hand, the Evanovich books are weighted heavily toward Stephanie and her cohorts, almost 75%, none of who seem to learn and grow. I rarely have a sense of place, maybe 15%, and that leaves 10% for plot. After all 25 Stephanie Plum books, she should have been able to make up her mind between the Italian cop, Joe Morelli (played in the really awful movie by Irish-American actor Jason O"Mara )  and the bounty hunter, Ranger. Or, maybe she has. After book five, I just couldn't keep reading what was essentially the same story told in different words. To the author's credit, farces are to keep fresh.


I've read nine of the ten Flavia de Luce books and she is a delightful little girl. Yes, that's right, a little girl, 12, I think. She's kind, sensitive, and inquisitive. Flavia's hobby is experimenting in her deceased uncle's laboratory so science plays into the stories. I like the books because she grows just enough, has changes in her circumstances that are appropriate, and is likeable. Also, who doesn't love an
English countryside setting?

Which brings me to Maisie Dobbs. When Maisie, the groom's daughter, married the son of Lord and Lady Crompton and became titled and very rich, my interest in her experiences died. It seemed like a copout. Also, in one of the books, she picked up a clue which wasn't revealed to the reader---total dirty pool.

So, after considering my own words, I think I'm saying that I like Kinsey and Flavia because they feel like real people and don't like Stephanie and Maisie because they don't. I want real people even if the events are extraordinary, Harry Potter and his friends are good examples.

Enough said.






2 comments:

  1. When a series should end varies. I ended Mrs. Miller reign after book six. There are times when she almost emerges again but finding a new twist to her is difficult. I am reading a science fiction series that has I think 20 or more books and pray the next one arrives soon. Great post with a lotto think about

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't write series and rarely read them because I hate waiting for the next book if its good, and it's sometimes hard to keep track of the characters.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive