Friday, June 7, 2019

Delightfully Peculiar by Eileen O'Finlan

                                                               Click here for purchase information

I love to read all the blog posts by BWL authors, but I get a special jolt of “yippee!” when I open my email to find a post by Stuart R. West.  Stuart’s sense of humor is just so appealing to me. When I discovered he writes paranormal novels, one of my favorite genres, I had to give Peculiar County a try. I am so glad I did because I have not had such pure fun reading a novel in quite some time.

In Peculiar County, fifteen year old Dibby Caldwell, the daughter of the town’s mortician, is haunted by the ghost of a boy who won’t leave her alone until she discovers and reveals the true cause of his death. Dibby gets some help from James, the outcast, new boy in town. From everyone else, her father included, she finds nothing but hindrance, including some of the supernatural variety.

Every character in this book is unique – peculiar in their own way. Not necessarily in a bad way, though whether or not some are malicious is intentionally questionable. Yet no character is so over-the-top as to be unbelievable. That is, at least as long as the character lives in Peculiar County.

A lot of strange things go on in Peculiar County, but Dibby, a native to the county, takes them in stride. Her new friend, James, has a little trouble adapting so Dibby helps him understand that his new home isn’t quite the same as anywhere else.

What I found so delightful about this book was the author’s voice. West mixes eerie paranormal with a smattering of off-beat humor to perfection.  I don’t remember the last time a silly grin was plastered across my face for the endurance of an entire novel, but I’m pretty sure it was with this one. It’s not the reaction one usually has to a creepy, paranormal story. I must be a bit peculiar.
                                                       Click here for purchase information
                                                       Click here to visit Eileen O'Finlan's website

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed Stuart's books, too. There's always something interesting going on. Hope your writing is going well

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive