Saturday, July 13, 2019

Connections by Eileen Charbonneau



find my books at:  Eileen's page at BWL

Connections

Life is all about connections, isn’t it?  Family, friends, co-workers, fellow volunteers.  It’s said that writing is a lonely profession, but it can be one of deep and lasting connections.  With readers, of course.  There are creative readers just as there are creative writers.  They bring themselves to the experience and find untold (and unrealized by me!) beauty in my stories.  

I’ve belonged to many writers’ groups. I’m about to embark on another, born out of one of my writing classes. As with every path new and untrod, I’m a little trepidatious. Some of my past critique groups have worked out better than others.  But all have been helpful.


Some of my favorite writers--yes, sometimes we even dress up and dine together, 
like here at the fabulous Chez Josephine in New York City

Each participant of a writers’ group knows it will be her turn during the course of the session.  That usually does wonders for social skills-- like finding something nice or encouraging before getting to the bits that need work. 

People in writers’ groups have different tastes in reading. I love a critique partner who reads from several genres and is aware of the conventions of each.  I enjoy reading romance, so when I observe that a heroine is of the too-stupid-to-live variety that readers of the genre complain about, or a hero is cruel to women. children, or animals (a no-no within the conventions of the genre), I try to point these things out.  But I make sure I let a fellow writer know if I’m not familiar with the genre I’m remarking on, so she can take my ignorance into consideration!  But good writing is good writing, so I feel we all can help each other.


some of the members of our new writers group


Are you thinking of joining a writers' group?  Best of luck in making all your stories stronger!  My most important advice goes for all your social connections: don’t stay in any group that does not leave you feeling energized and eager to move your work (or life!) forward after each session together.

4 comments:

  1. Writer's groups are important. I remember when you belonged to the one I'm a part of. Waiting for your next opus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always energized coming away from your house, Janet. And the group's love for and acceptance of my Lawrence...treasured forever! You even gave him the gift of literary immortality in your character Zan!

      Delete
  2. My writer's groups keep me on track. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear this, Victoria. I'm hoping for the same from my new group!

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive