Saturday, August 17, 2019

What About Series - Janet Lane Walters #BWLPublishing #MFRWAuthor #Series #Writing


What About Series
 Forgotten Dreams (Moonchild Book 5)

I once had a discussion with a friend about trilogies versus series. She believed trilogies were series. I thought series should be beyond three books. Though we never settled the argument, we did talk a lot about series. One of my favorite authors has a long and wonderful series. There’s another book due in this series in January and I did a pre-order for a lot of money. I believe this is book 20 or maybe 21.

During the discussion, we discovered there are many kinds of series. One type focuses on a group of friends and their lives. Many of these are romances.  My series Opposites in Love and the Seduction series fall into this category.
 The Leo-Aquarius Connection (Opposites in Love Book 5)

Opposites in Love and Moonchild series fall into something different. They have Astrological Signs as a foundation. Moonchild also has the same large town or small city, not sure what it is. The use of Affinities in the basis for the YA Series.
 Affinities Escape

Murder and Tea all belong to the same character. So does the YA fantasy series Affinities. But this is many of the characters as they grow and come into their powers.

 Murder and Sweet Tea (Mrs Miller Mysteries Book 6)
So series can be based on a single character and continuing adventures. There are series placed on location. All taking place in the same general area. There are series based on something like astrology, or other like kind of subjects. The great thing about series is keeping them fresh and also knowing when a series might end.

Now some questions I’d like you to give your opinion.

Are trilogies series?
What are your favorite kind of series?
Do you have a series to plug?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Janet...I love series, especially when continuing characters grow and change. My first series was Nancy Drew Mysteries...I loved them, but noticed Nancy didn't get any order or change. When I wrote my own series (or...trilogy) the Linda Tassel/ Ted Gist mysteries, my teens got older and wiser, and more in love with each other, natch!

    All of yours are great. I'm learning how to keep a series "bible" like show runners do on TV series, so I don't mess up or forget what everybody looks like and what they were up to before.

    Right now I have 2 series going... Brides of the American Civil War (event linked romances), one done and one in-progress, and The Code Talker Chronicles, a continuing World War II story with the same couple. Two books are done and the next in-progress. I hope I can get both into series territory, by your criteria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. Can't wait to read either one of your stories when they arrive

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Jamie really razzing me about the fact that I paid $15 for a JD Robb book to read on the plane when we attended a Romantic Times conference together several years ago. Normally I only read our BWL Publishing authors, because we have so much fantastic talent that I get all the really good reading I need, but Robb's In Death series is my exception. I've been reading it for so many years that I'm hooked on the characters and even though the ebook price is ridiculous, I have to confess I still buy them when they do finally come out in ebook -- I never purchase the hard covers.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive