Sunday, October 13, 2019

Ghosts


Taking a cue from the season of All Hallow's Eve, and my fellow author Eileen O'Finlan's great post about visiting the graveyards of her mom's youth, here's a ghost story from where I was raised...

Deep in the Northern Catskills in New York State is a tiny chapel and graveyard dating from the 1830s.... Regular services are no longer available in the chapel, however the door is left unlocked for visitors.  


 My dad and I used to visit there and it's from him I learned the story of the Irish Colleens.  It seems 13 nameless and faceless immigrant Irish women who worked the local cotton mills as weavers died in a fire and were buried in the church graveyard...


...but without markers or remembrance for generations, until their story reached the ears of Robert W. Boughter (1896-1983) who was so bothered by the ghosts of these women that he left this granite marker...

and this poem...

The Irish Colleens

In the lovely Catskill Mountains
And high upon a hill
There stands a little church-yard
Lies a story now quite old
For it tells of Irish Colleens
And their story should be told
They came from far old Ireland
And with them brought their skills
They worked as expert weavers
In the local cotton mills
But the bitter winters took their toll
And long before their time
They died penniless and friendless
In that land of mountain pine
Within that little church-yard
Stands granite great and tall
To plainly mark the resting place
Of those who had it all
And nearby those who had no wealth
And for which they must atone
For their lack of worldly treasure
With a chip of native stone
But when they stand there proudly
Up high before the throne
I am sure they will be welcomed
And no longer be alone
I think that in that church-yard
A marker should be placed
To honor those courageous girls
In their final resting place
We have statues by the millions
And they need not atone
I think we can do better
Than a chip of native stone



6 comments:

  1. Lovely poem. Do you wonder as I do about the people in Ireland who don't know what ahppened to their girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't wonder at all, Janet! It's the time for contemplating all these unseen matters!

      Delete
  2. Did the granite marker and the poem make the ghosts stop bothering him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping so, Eileen! I know it was a years long ambition for him, so I hope, when finally accomplished, that the Colleens left him in peace!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the poem and the story attached to the unfortunate women. Really like to hear about ghost stories like this. I've seen a few myself in my time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading, Tricia. On one of my visits, I asked the Irish Colleens if I could use them fictionally in my novel Honor To The Hills. I was having a hard time with the plot, but once I cleared it with these ghosts, it was pretty smooth sailing! I also changed them to slaves trying to get north on the Underground Railroad and...this time, they lived!

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive