Friday, October 11, 2019

When Memories Come Back to Haunt You by Karla Stover



A Line To Murder (A Puget Sound Mystery Book 1)
Murder in Tacoma, Wa.

        
Wynters Way
Historical/Gothic Mystery

Murder, When One Isn't Enough
Murder on Hood Canal




When a product probably not known to many Americans was mentioned in a novel I just finished reading, memories of forty-odd years ago sprouted up like mushrooms after a September rain. The product was Bird's Custard, a necessary ingredient in Nanaimo Bars. And so, I take a historical walk.

According to "foodnetwork.ca," the first recipe for the pastry appeared in the 1952 edition of the Women’s Auxiliary, of the Nanaimo Hospital Cookbook. Some fifteen or so years later, they made an appearance in Tacoma, where I live. The problem was, the recipe going around called for Bird's Custard, not something available here. 

British chemist Alfred Bird created the egg less product in his laboratory because custard calls for eggs to which his wife was allergic. His custard powder became so popular, Bird and his sons went into business, eventually producing blancmange powder, jelly powder, and egg substitute. British soldiers took the custard with them during World War I.

Back to my conundrum; in order to make the trendy new cookie, Mom and I had to find someone going to Canada who would bring a box of Bird's Custard back.

When I saw the custard mentioned in a British novel, it brought back so many memories of Mom and me sharing the recipe and struggling to make our cookies as pretty as the pictures we'd seen.

I'm not sure if women cook much anymore or, if they do, if they have recipe files. When Mom died, I kept hers. Someday, an executor will have to get rid of them, and mine, as well.



5 comments:

  1. Recipes. Does everyone have some from their past. I have a few. Keep writing and remembering

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe box. Some are in my mom's handwriting and some my sisters, all of whom I've lost so your comments sent me down memory lane, too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started making my Nanaimo bars from scratch with Bird's Custard when I found out my daughter was allergic to nuts. My daughter is now making my recipe for her daughter...Thanks for the memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Bird's custard well from my youth. Your post brought back so many memories, and I can almost taste my mother's apple pie topped by it.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive