Saturday, April 4, 2020

Daddy Long-Legs by Katherine Pym





~*~*~*~


Daddy long-legs cluster


My primary time frame is 17th century London. It’s difficult to write of it and not go textbook, something I hated as a kid in school. What I’ve learned over my career is to fill a story that resonates with human interest. History does not change, only the names and circumstances, although even then, too much of the past rings the same in the present these days. 
 
But I digress. Spring has sprung and so have the spiders...
 
Take idiocy as a human interest story. Most people don’t like to admit to this, but it happens on an almost daily basis. Husband and I had one of those occasions this last week. 
 
Close Look at Cluster
We have daddy long-legs spiders. Lots of them. Hundreds of them, maybe a thousand (kidding, but not far from). They don’t build cobwebs of gossamer that spread across the house facade as if we were in a terrible fairy tale. No, they cluster in the eaves above our sliding glass door. They foul the clapboard with their poop, fall on our heads as we come and go. It’s creepy and annoying. We can’t sit on the patio because of them. People from miles around hear my screams, night and day as I take our pup out for her potty rituals.
 
Last week, Husband wearied of my constant screeches, my jumping about and shaking the bugs from my hair and down my collar. He marched outside and grabbed the garden hose. Like a soldier ready to forge into battle, he sprayed the spider clusters with steady jets of water.
 
They plopped like giant, wet shaggy balls onto our patio and lay there stunned. In an angry zest of nature, they freaked out, separated into thousands of crawly things with unnatural long legs. They ran up the wall, the sliding glass doors on both sides of the screen, stalked into a window corner and stayed there. Now, no one could come or go at all. Should we open the slider, an arachnid cluster would scurry into our house.
 
On that note, many did find their way into our house, (I know not how because it is a tightly built structure), and settled on the walls of our bedroom. Outside, the entire wall was covered with them, all vibrating up and down as if in a macabre dance.
Macabre dance all over our wall
 
As the days blurred by, they took to their clusters again, but not just one gigantic one. In their mindless fervor for revenge, several clusters evolved, from over the sliding glass door and down the underside of the eaves of our house and patio.
 
Now, we’ll have poop paths that run the full backside of our house.
 
Nightmare!
 
As a human interest story, I hope you felt what I felt, panicked when I did. That’s what I learned from years of writing. Don’t tell these things. Show them so that the reader stands with you, witnesses the horrific skin crawling insect moments that I did.
 
PS… No spiders were harmed in the telling of this tale. 

~*~*~*~*~
Many thanks to Wikicommons Public domain for the pics.

7 comments:

  1. Great excerpt and you brought the bit alive as always

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Janet. It was a flurry of activity for awhile. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know why I love winter. There are no creepy crawlies in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some goodness in winter, but I'm ready for a lot of sun and warmth. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  4. Another example of why your books are so fantastic to read - YUK, every bit of that experience came to life in my mind and if it's all the same to you I think I'd just as soon remove those images for sure. As always, great writing. Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you felt creeped out a little bit, but hopefully not too much... :D

      Delete
  5. Yikes! What a freaky situation. Spiders and their poo. Eeeeuuu.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive