Tuesday, May 26, 2020

So we think we have it hard—Tricia McGill

Find all my books on my BWL author page

For my next book, I have been researching London during WW11, specifically around 1940. This got me thinking about how it compares to what we are experiencing around the world right now with restrictions placed on our normal routines. Rationing in London continued until 1958 and I can still recall my mother sitting in the chair with her ration books in front of her and a worried frown on her face. How she coped with feeding her large family I will never know. I do remember that one sister who worked in a factory would sometimes come home with sugar that she had purchased on the ‘black market’. As a child, I had little idea of the meaning of all this as, being the youngest and spoilt, I was well fed and at times even had butter on my bread and not margarine, but that was after the war had ended. Add to this our Mother’s worry over the three of her sons serving overseas in the armed forces. Thankfully, they all came home.

The government introduced rationing as a means of ensuring the fair distribution of food and commodities and began at the start of the war with petrol. By January 1940 bacon, butter and sugar were rationed, and by 1942 many other foodstuffs.

A typical weekly ration of food for an adult would consist of:
4 ounces of Bacon & Ham 
Other meat to the value of 1 shilling and 2 pence (equivalent to 2 chops)
2 ounces of Butter              
2 ounces of Cheese                  
4 ounces of Margarine 
4 ounces of Cooking fat   
3 pints of Milk     
8 ounces Sugar    
1 pound of preserves every 2 months. (I guess this was why my mother often asked the grocer for sugar instead of her jam ration)
2 ounces of Tea         
1 fresh Egg (plus allowance of dried egg)
12 ounces of Sweets every 4 weeks.


After the fiasco of people rushing out to purchase ridiculous amounts of toilet paper at the outset of the pandemic, (I am still trying to work out just why that idiot started the stampede) I got to thinking about how people coped during the war years in that department. One of the first things some of the older generation that I spoke to said in response to this was, “We had to manage with newspaper—how would they like that?” This was cut into squares, which would then hang on a hook in the little room. Some lucky people even managed to acquire tissue paper.

Two of my sisters were married in 1946 and even then they had to buy the fabric for their dresses using their allowance from their ration books. Fruit and some vegetables were in short supply and many people grew their own. If someone heard that a delivery of say oranges had arrived at the greengrocers then the women would rush to get on the mile long queue to wait for their share.

So you see, we may complain that we cannot get to hug our loved ones, but there is a light at the end of this current tunnel and soon you can welcome home your children and grandchildren. We have online shopping where we can still order to our hearts content and have it dropped off at our door. We have our trusty phones and can keep in touch with our family and friends and even chat face to face with them.


Funnies are flying back and forth each day. Here are some of my favourites:

I am starting to understand why pets try to run out of the house when the door opens.
Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands??
I’m so excited; it’s time to take the garbage out. I wonder what I should wear? 
You think it’s bad now? In 20 years our country will be run by people home schooled by day drinkers… 
Day 7 at home and the dog is looking at me like, “See? This is why I chew the furniture.” 
My Mom always told me I wouldn’t accomplish anything by laying in the bed all day, but look at me now! I’m saving the world...! 
I swear my fridge just said: “what the hell do you want now?” 
Coronavirus has turned us all into dogs. We roam the house all day looking for food.  
If anyone owes you money, go to their house now. They should be home... 

I’m giving up drinking for a month. Sorry, punctuation typo... 
I’m giving up. Drinking for a month.
Stay safe, and always look on the brighter side of life.

Visit my web page for more on all my books
  


2 comments:

  1. I remember a bit of those days and how resourceful my motherhad to be. As to the toilet paper bit. There were other things people bought in a panic.. Keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Janet. Yes, my friend's son could not find rice on the shelves and that was when we were only into the first few days of it all. Thank goodness the shelves are mostly packed with essentials now in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive