Sunday, October 11, 2020

BUZZ WORDS and FIRST WORDS by Karla Stover

 







BUZZ WORDS and FIRST WORDS

I tried to put a reserve on a book, today. It didn't take because, apparently, I'd put a reserve on it already and had just forgotten. That was a surprise--not that I'd forgotten--but because it's not the kind of book I usually read. That got me to thinking about the buzz words that caught my eye. In this case it was the word, 'gothic' in the title, and 'distant mansion' and 'family secrets hidden' seemed to leap off the page and grab me. 

Every week the library sends me a list of recent releases. Today's list said two books were charming. Not my cup of tea--ha ha--"charming" smacks of being a cozy. 

Then there was this: ". . . just returned to England after a row with her husband, the British consul to Smyrna; Meacan Barlow, Cecily's childhood friend, now working as an illustrator. 1703 London: Cecily and Meacan are two of renowned collector Sir Barnaby Mayne's house guests when he is fatally stabbed. After a confession that can't possibly be true, the ladies hunt for the real killer.  Cecily and Meacan are two of renowned collector Sir Barnaby Mayne's house guests when he is fatally stabbed. After a confession that can't possibly be true, the ladies hunt for the real killer."

I don't think Meacan is the husband, but this description is so confusing I had to wonder about the book, no matter how "richly textured" it was.

I was recently trapped because the psychological mystery (not much of one) was supposed to be set in Cornwall from where my family hails. The author, in her twenties, looked to be about 16 and perhaps that was the trouble, not her youthful looks, it's just that she was too young to capably dip into the psychology pool. About page 3  Munchhausen by Proxy had raised its head and after that it was pretty obvious where the story was headed.

Is the following a turnoff for anyone but me--"seeks her true reflection in two kindred cities" ? I'm not even sure what that means.

Of course, all this sounds very opiniated, but there are so many books and so little time to read the best of the best, and our descriptions, the words we choose, have to work hard to capture the eye of a reader. Never mind the comments on the back of the cover. I once saw a really good recommendation signed "the author's mother." According to an east coast newspaper women I interviewed back in the mists of  time, publishers there think we'll buy a book because some well-known person recommends it.

Does anyone?

The first page of most books is generally a half page. On a reserve that just came in, the elderly men (I could have written 'old men' but 'elderly' is kinder) drinking coffee were variously described as: "a trio of geezers" "withered fools" with "flabby pink old-man lips" having heads that were "flaky bald" and who laughed like "agitated horses."

Yowsa! Too cruel for me to even want to turn the page. Which I didn't, I returned the book unread.

Picky. Picky. Picky, you say? Maybe, but those words made a first, bad impression on me.

The more I read, the more I write, the more I ponder. Such is the world of words.




4 comments:

  1. I've returned very few books unread. The reason is I find the really badly written ones make me laugh and tell myself I won't do that. The ones I might not finish reading are those that are okay. Keep writing your great stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just a slow writer, but thanks for always commenting.

      Delete
  2. The funny thing about your observations is that sometimes, what turns off one reader will attract another. Readers have such varied tastes... I think the important thing to remember is that the buzz words we use in our blurbs and teasers must appeal to those looking for our stories. Truth in advertising. That's the secret. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite often ignore the blurb and go first for the author and then for the genre I prefer. I'm not so much a slow writer more a slow reader. And that description about the elderly gent with pink flabby lips would turn me off too.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive