Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Featured Author - Joan Havelange

 

Coming in December, click for pre-release details and buy links

 

Hi, my name is Joan Havelange. I am a Canadian author. I live in the prairies in a beautiful little town, surrounded by hills, valleys, and many lakes. I have lived in three of Canada’s provinces and have visited all of them. I am an avid traveller. Before this pandemic broke out, I was able to travel to over 45 countries. And I have worn many hats in my work career. One of my jobs was north of the 56 parallel for a mining company. No, I did not go down in the mine; I worked in the computer department. Back in the day, no one had a desktop or laptop on their desk. It was our nerdy group.

 I also directed theatre for 15 years. I find writing is a lot like directing; only my characters show up on time and always know their lines. Although sometimes they do go off in a direction that surprises me. I began writing romances, but I soon found out I was not the romantic type; murder is my line. My change of genre was the right choice, as my first whodunnit mystery, ‘Wayward Shot,’ was published by BWL Inc. in 2019.

All fictional stories, I think, start out as what if. What if you were golfing and your wayward shot ends up in the middle of a dead man’s forehead. (The idea came to me on the golf course, I am an avid golfer.) That was the genesis of Wayward Shot; the rest of the story fell into place.

 


Wayward Shot:
Golf is not a contact sport. But murder is. Mabel Havelock and Violet Ficher’s golf game is interrupted when they find a dead body in the graveyard. And it is not six feet under. Mabel’s ball lays in the middle of the dead man’s forehead.  Golfers do not kill golfers, or do they? A game of golf turns deadly for Mabel and Violet.

I’m a fan of Agatha Christie, and I wondered what if Mabel, my protagonist, was not as smart or as cultured as Miss Marple. There again, you see, ‘the what if.’ Mabel is a down to earth bulldog. Her wingman, Violet, is the opposite. Fans of Wayward Shot comment on how they love the relationship between the two women. They may have disagreements, but they have each other’s back. And my readers love the bizarre antics the women get up to in the pursuit of the killer.

·        

Hilarious story-stars that paint the pages

Book Review – Wayward Shot Author – Joan Havelange Genre – Cozy Mystery First Line: Mabel Havelock leaned on her driver, watching her best friend, Violet Ficher, tee up her golf ball. Review: Mabel Havelock, middle-aged, widowed, short and spirited, maybe more like feisty. Violet Ficher, her best friend, also middle-aged, divorced, tall, and has an appreciation for organization and niceties. They love golf and find more than they bargained for during one of their rounds. Ms. Havelange pens a hilarious, mid-life friendship with story stars that paint the pages. Those two women compliment and balance each other…and when the going gets tough, so do they. Thank goodness they have each other. I laughed…a lot, but there were sit-on-the-edge of your chair moments also. I enjoyed Ms. Havelane’s writing style and will definitely read more of Mabel and Violet’s books.

 

My next whodunnit was published by BWL in January of this year. I found the writing of Death and Denial a little more challenging. Mabel had to grow, she couldn’t stay the same bumbling investigator she was in Wayward Shot, but she had to retain her personality. I also had the balancing act. ‘Death and Denial’ is set in Egypt.

Death and Denial: On her way to visit Egypt’s ancient monuments and treasures, Mabel Havelock gets more than she bargains for. She stumbles on a murder plot. As she cruises down the Nile on a riverboat, Mabel finds herself trapped on board with a dead body and a boatload of suspects.

The idea for this mystery came to me when I travelled to Egypt a few years ago. I wanted to describe the fascinating sights I was privileged to see, without making it a travelogue. I succeeded. A Reviews; for Death and Denial

This is one of the reviews  Tantalizing Trip

This is not the first adventure of this pair of mature sleuths, the doggedly determined Mabel Havelock and the fashion-conscious, germophobic Violet Ficher, but it was the first for me. Having visited Egypt many years ago, I was attracted to this book by the Egyptian setting, and easily found myself ‘back there’ as I travelled along the Nile with Mabel, Violet, and their tour group. At least one of whom was plotting the demise of at least one other – said plot being overheard by Mabel en route to Egypt. Despite a series of ‘accidents’, Mabel finds it hard to convince anyone else of this. Even Violet. But her partner-in-solving crime comes through for her in the end. An enjoyable read for fans of both mysteries and Egypt.

 I’m quite proud people could see Cairo and the Valley of the Kings and the other sights from my writing. And above all else, the mystery that was the forefront of the story.

Something else that makes me happy is the question, ‘when is your next book?’

To that, I can reply the next mystery. ‘The Trouble with Funerals.’ is to be released this coming December. The first few lines from The Trouble with Funerals.

“She doesn’t look a bit good,” lamented Sophie Schoenberg.

Mabel Havelock looked down at the body of Mini Frazer. “She wouldn’t, she’s dead, no one looks good dead.”

The funeral director who had ushered the two ladies to view the body in the casket looked appalled

Please visit my Facebook page for updates about new releases. ‘The Trouble with Funerals. In December.

And next, my ladies will go on another trip. This time to Moscow. What possibly could go wrong? Title to be determined.

https://www.facebook.com/mabelmysteries

https://books2read.com/Wayward-Shot

https://books2read.com/Death-and-Denial

https://twitter.com/JoanJhave

https://www.instagram.com/joanhave/

 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the trip down the Nile and will find this coming book interesting. Good luck

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive