Sunday, November 1, 2020

Featured Author Tricia McGill



BWL Author page:  https://bookswelove.net/mcgill-tricia/

I come from a large North London family and being the youngest of ten was encouraged to read and write from an early age. Never particularly interested in the sciences, I loved the English class simply for the chance it gave me to write short stories about anything and everything. Another favourite was Art, where I loved my teacher—probably because she chose one of my paintings to show in an exhibition where I received a commendation for my portrayal of Joseph and his coat of many colours. I pictured him lying beneath a tree while having his famous dream.

Because our mother was a skilled seamstress, who could work wonders with her skill, it followed that all females in our family were destined to work in the clothing industry. Pushed towards that trade, I fought against it, but eventually caved. I did enjoy my work as a pattern cutter in a fast-paced industry. One of my books, A Heart in Conflict is set in that scenario. I never did fall in love with my boss though. Thus, it wasn’t until I retired early due to spinal problems that I began to write in earnest. I joined BWL Publishing in 2013. I am so glad I made the move to this marvellous publishing house, where I joined a host of amazingly talented authors.

I write primarily Romance and my books cover a few sub-genres, being mainly Historicals, Contemporary and Time Travel. I am a sucker for a happy ending. I feel my life has been blessed, so perhaps that is why I always like my characters to have their happy ever after. My husband and I moved to Australia many moons ago. Three of my sisters were already happily ensconced here so I had no qualms about travelling across the world.

My husband Bill was the one who encouraged me to submit my first full-length novel to a publisher; in fact, he took my first draft along to a publishing house in Melbourne. The chief editor read my book and even sent me a long critique and words of encouragement I will never forget, even though she was a publisher of medical tomes. Turned out she thought it was romantic of him to approach her for my benefit. Sadly he passed away before my first book was published. I have great pride in my family saga Remnants of Dreams, which won the Romance Writers of Australia’s Romantic Book of The Year award in 2003, then under the name of Traces of Dreams. Although fiction, this book was based on my mother’s life. She lived through two world wars, struggling through poverty and all that came along with life in the 30s, 40s, and onward and was one of the strongest woman I will ever know.

My Settlers Series is set in Australia in the early 1800s where woman had a similar struggle, with none of the necessities of life we happily enjoy today. Book one in this series started life as one scene set on the docks at Sydney Cove, and finally ended up as four books. Who knows if another will follow?

I have always loved Time-Travels and in truth would love a time travelling machine, but only one that ensures I could return to my easy life of washing machines, TVs and computers. My current work in progress is set in the midst of the London Blitz where a modern day woman from a beachside suburb outside Melbourne who is experiencing the beginning of the Covid-19 outbreak is tossed back in time and forced to endure London at its worst when bombs were dropping nightly and ruining the lives of the folk.

 

Here is a short excerpt from the first chapter of Mystic Mountains (Settlers Book 1):

Isabella wrapped her arms about her middle and shuddered, swallowing the bile that threatened to choke her. "I don't ever want to see the ocean again as long as I live, Gracie." Much as she might wish she were back in Stepney, she would never want to repeat that dreadful voyage. A violent storm lasting for nearly two days coming round the Cape had caused such wretchedness they'd feared they would all perish. No, she wouldn't care if she never saw the ocean again.

Gracie nudged Isabella as the wharf loomed before them. "Well, girl, 'ere we go, 'ow d'ya feel, eh?"

"As if a mess of worms are wriggling about inside me, that's how."

Even when evading the constables in the alleyways and back lanes of Stepney Isabella had always felt that one day things would improve. That certainty died on the day of her arrest.

 

Powerful Destiny:

Rolf stared as if struck, feeling suddenly as confused as the child, for her words were spoken in his native tongue. Then, as the moon drifted out from behind a cloud, Rolf let out a gasp.

The woman stood straight and proud, long hair as black as the night falling to her middle. A band around her forehead secured its flowing beauty. Her clothing was no different from that worn by any other Celtic female encountered in his past, but something about her bearing proclaimed that she was very different in some way. As she touched some sort of talisman at her belt, she muttered what could have been an incantation. Perhaps she was praying to her gods.

In all his life and many travels, never had he seen such a vision of loveliness. Then Rolf cursed beneath his breath. What was he thinking? This was a Celtic female, only fit for becoming a slave.

 

When Fate Decides, (Challenge the Heart Book 1):

As Tessa pulled the door open, the words of rebuke died on her lips. It most definitely wasn’t a salesman. The man who stood there, smiling, was one she’d never expected to see again in her lifetime.

“Mrs Browning. I don’t know if you remember me,” he said. Oh, how she remembered him, and that rich voice of his. “The name’s Jack Delaney. I did some work here a few years back for your husband.” When she continued to stare at him in shock, he added, “We built the games room and extra toilet and shower room.” He shrugged. “Another guy and me were here for a month or so? You’ve probably forgotten me.”

Forgotten him?

If there was one person Tessa would never be likely to forget, it was him. His voice sounded deeper, but still held that same undercurrent of sensuality that caused her toes to curl.

“I know it’s not exactly the done thing to turn up like this on your doorstep, but I’d like to speak to you about your late husband’s business.”

 Visit Tricia McGill Author page for book details and to purchase books. 

 https://bookswelove.net/mcgill-tricia/

 

4 comments:

  1. Nice learning more about you. Your next book sounds intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, life stories are always interesting--and yours of London to Australia is especially cool! And writing is a smart/time-honored way to deal with dystopian current events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing a out your husband's support for your writing. So sorry he passed so early. Love time travel stories. Best wishes with your current WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for visiting. I am running late with my comment as life got in the way as it often does.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive