Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Low Tide, High Hopes by Jay Lang

 

Jay Lang BWL Author page https://www.bookswelove.com/lang-jay/

In an overstuffed creative writing class, I managed to extract one impactful sentence out of the day’s instruction: “Write about what you know.” With this in mind, I embarked upon my first novel, Hush, and set it against the rustic backdrop of Gabriola Island. I lived there with my father and his then wife when I was in my late teens. Imprinted in my memory as a magical place were the serene beaches and the untouched forests – the perfect setting for my first book. 

 

Delving into my memory of the small island, I outlined a murder plot, creating diverse, colorful characters, and then put pen to paper (or fingers to keys.) By the time I'd finished the first paragraph, I was already transported to Silva Bay, my bare feet in the cool sand, soft summer wind dancing around me, and at my ear the cadence of the small swells landing on the shore. I had started out on my journey. 

 

To their credit and my benefit, the locals were open and generous with information about Gabriola. They were excited that my story took place on their little island. The local newspaper even did a great interview with me about my upcoming novel. 

Like any first-time writer, I was insecure about how Hush would be received. However, when I saw messages on my Facebook page from those who’d read it and then gone to Gabriola to find the locations mentioned in the story, I realized the response was very positive. Some people were kind enough to send pictures of their findings. Very cool!

 https://www.bookswelove.com/lang-jay/

 

3 comments:

  1. Gabriola indeed seems like a wonderful setting for your novel. Wishing you lots of sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First hand research is important, but it's also the most fun to actually go where you want your setting. Love small island settings. Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post and nice choice of setting for your book. I use the village where I live for many of my mysteries but with some village planning .

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive