Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Attending a Writing Conference Outside Your Genre by Eileen O'Finlan

 



                                                                            

I recently had the pleasure of attending the New England Crime Bake, a conference for mystery writers. I went with a friend who writes cozy mysteries and was on the one of the workshop panels. I, however, do not write mysteries nor do I intend to. So what would I get from a workshop for mystery writers? Glad you asked.

As with most conferences, there were several workshop options running at the same times from which to choose. I was able to easily find workshops that had to do with writing in general rather than specific to the mystery genre alone. For example, I attended a workshop on creating conflict in a story. Sure, the presenter used examples from mysteries, but they easily applied to any story.

I write historical fiction, so naturally I was drawn to the panel discussion on historical mysteries. The authors on this panel spoke a lot about historical research which certainly applies to my writing. It was a fascinating discussion which got my own historical research wheels turning.

I also attended workshops on topics peripheral yet important to the writing life, such as creating a business plan for writers and mastering social media for publicity.

Of course there were a lot of workshops that pertained specifically to mystery writers. When a block of time was filled only with those, I went back to my hotel room and spent the time working on my current manuscript. Being in the midst of so many fellow writers was inspirational and my writing during those times finally began to flow. I've managed to maintain that writing mojo even though the conference is over and I'm back home.

Also, there was a key note talk given by investigative reporter and bestselling mystery author, Hank Phillippi Ryan that was amazing. Meals with fellow writers provided a great opportunity to talk shop, make new friends, and engage in networking. Did I mention there were agents and publicists in attendance? It was great to have dinner at the same table with them, pick their brains, and hear their suggestions.

One of the high points for me was attending the "Ask the Experts" panel. This included an author who is a former police detective and now writes crime novels, an editor from Guideposts, a publicist, and my friend, Jane Willan, author of cozy mysteries and a pastor. What I found most interesting was the questions asked of Bruce Robert Coffin, the former detective and now author of the award-winning Detective Byron Mysteries. He is a wealth of information about how detectives operate. He is also adept at explaining how such information should be utilized in a story. I may not use any of it in my writing, but I was fascinated listening to him.

Attending writing conferences are extremely valuable for learning your craft and networking. Conferences that focus on your genre are best. However, if the situation presents itself, attending a conference outside your genre is far from a waste of time and money. It is amazing what you will get from any gathering of writers.

4 comments:

  1. You always make the most of your time, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing conferences are as great as you make them. I've not attended one in years but I'm sure I will again. Looking forward to your next book/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this experience. I attended many conferences in the past, not in the science fiction genre, but in general writing, romance, and historical fiction, and I've always come home with loads of useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like it was a very interesting and productive conference. Glad you enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive