Sunday, December 19, 2021

Ringing in the Season by Helen Henderson

 

Windmaster Golem
Click the cover for purchase information

At a recent marketing workshop, the instructor emphasized the importance of authors sharing. Not just their words, but also insights into themselves. Something not always easy for an introvert to do. This time of year you can't walk into any store without hearing (or depending on the store and song, having your ears assaulted) by holiday music. I chose to share a few which have a special association.

Carol of the Bells - besides the lyrical rhythm, this song reminds me of my museum directorship when the sound of the local choir reverberated throughout the 1700s-era house. Then there is the youthful exuberance of a bell choir ringing the tune at a Christmas Eve service.

 

Courtesy of Jennifer Webb at Pixabay

Adeste Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful- Many, many years ago (not saying how many) when I was in what would be considered middle school, I was tapped to do a duet of the song in Latin. I spent days learning the English verses and my duet part. However, shortly before the concert, the director decided the Latin verse was to be a solo and I was kicked down to general member of the choir and the understudy. I didn't perform that night, but to this day when O Come All Ye Faithful is sung at a church service, I softly sing the second verse in Latin. Admittedly, it has gained me some side glances.


I'll Be Home For Christmas
- While Irving Berlin's White Christmas as performed by Bing Crosby has 50 million copies, it is another recording by Crosby that beats it out for inclusion in the list. I'll Be Home For Christmas provided solace to overseas U.S. troops during World War II. The aspect that calls to my soul is that as part of his USO shows, Crosby sang it to American troops who would never return home. These days I'll Be Home For Christmas is featured in commercials for the Shriners Children's Hospitals.

Snoopy's Christmas - has been a special favorite since it first came out. Some might consider it irreverent because it features a cartoon character. For me, the references to the 1914 Christmas Truce of World War I show a spirit of the season, of peace coinciding with duty and honor.

The next two songs come from my mother who picked I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. - The song describes a scene where a child walks downstairs from his bedroom on Christmas Eve to see his mom kissing "Santa Claus" under the mistletoe. The lyric concludes with the child wondering how his father will react on hearing of the kiss, unaware of the implication that Santa Claus is merely his father in a costume.

Silent Night - now triggers a special memory. As I had for several years, I took my mother with me to Christmas Eve service. She hadn't sung since surviving two massive strokes, but seemed to enjoy the outing. To this day I don't know what changed, but as the congregation started singing, I heard the words in a soft, little voice alongside me.

Many other songs catch my attention during the holidays. Some are secular, others religious, and some are nonsensical. Whatever your favorite song is, may it bring you joy and peace this holiday season.

~Until next month, stay safe and read. Helen

 To purchase the Windmaster Novels: BWL

Find out more about me and my novels at Journey to Worlds of Imagination. Follow me online at Facebook, Goodreads or Twitter.

Helen Henderson lives in western Tennessee with her husband. While she doesn’t have any pets in residence at the moment, she often visits a husky who have adopted her as one the pack. 

3 comments:

  1. Nice memories of the meaning of the songs for you. Silent Night is my favorite. Keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Christmas song that sticks in my mind is Jingle Bells. Except that I remember the French lyrics, which have nothing to do with bells, but is an ode to the winter wind. I also have church choir memories, when my sister and I were the two soloists, and Adeste Fideles was one of our songs. I, too, sing the latin verses each time I hear it. LOL. Thanks for sharing and bringing back these memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas songs are my favourite. Left to myself, I would play them all year round. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive