Wednesday, February 2, 2022

The Joys of Winter




 Or should I say the dreads of winter? It seems like every year we complain more and more about snow and winter. Why? I guess we just need something to complain about. We've actually been blessed the last few years, our winters have been pretty mild and not a terrible amount of snow. At least not at one time. 

This year hasn't been much different. Until last week that is. We got pounded with a big snowstorm, at least 12 inches in most places, more in others. Anyone that knows me also knows I don't drive in the snow. I seldom drive in the rain, in fact, I really don't like to drive. Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled when I had to drive to church. 

Now I know I could have stayed home, but I committed to ushering that day and I also had some food for the food bank that I promised to bring so the lady that handles it didn't have to take it from church and I wouldn't have to carry it in. 

Okay, I know, I could have called and done it a different day, but two of the ushers already called off due to their son's wedding in Florida. So, I felt compelled to go. I'm sure they could have replaced me easily enough, I know I'm not indispensable. But a commitment is a commitment. Besides, I hate missing church. 

So, I went. Fortunately, my nephew plowed our driveway and I had no trouble getting out. Not so the streets, not even the main streets, although with the traffic they were a little better than the side streets. 

Believe me when I say I prayed all the way there, especially when I turned into the church driveway and it wasn't plowed. To make matters worse, the drive is a slight incline and on the left side is a dropoff. My car slid all the way up. Needless to say my prayer became more intense, asking God to take the wheel because I wasn't controlling the car very well. 

But, praise God, I made it all the way to the parking lot and even managed to get through the deep snow without falling.  Not many people were in church and I didn't expect there would be, but I was there and that's all that counted. 

It snowed the whole time I was in church and by the time we came out my car was covered. I cleaned it off, transferred the food to my friend's car, and slowly made my way home. The streets weren't in any better shape. I guess with it being Sunday, the city didn't feel the need to get the plow drivers out early. Although about the time I was ready to turn down my street, I did see one. 

Hmm, after writing all of this, I just had a thought. It would make a good scene for Aunt Beatrice Lulu. She hasn't been talking to me much lately. Maybe this would get her going. 

In the meantime, I can't wait for Spring. 

5 comments:

  1. Excellent Article, I just read and shared it to my friends as it is very useful for everyone. I will learn a lot of new stuff right from this article. You can check our services of
    digital publishing services company

    digital publishing services

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow wasn't so bad here. My house is on the level but to get anywhere ahve to clib great hills. Stayed home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent only two winters in Philadelphia, but that was enough. Shoveling snow was such a chore. After living in tropical countries for so many years. But all winter long, I was eyeing a spot on the weather map where it never snowed. Phoenix Arizona. That's where I live now, in the Valley of the sun, and although we sometimes miss the rain, I never missed the snow. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I love winter and I love snow. I don't mind driving in the snow, and I have excellent winter tires, but I'm always wary of the trucks on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love watching the snow fall from my living room windows! I leave the driving to others. But a good snow storm is fodder for a wonderful scene in many of my books, so there is at least that when the wind starts to blow.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive