Thursday, March 3, 2022

Ending a Book Series by Diane Bator

 

The Conned Lady, Book 5 Wild Blue Mystery series

I hit send on Valentine's Day and submitted The Conned Lady, Book 5 of my Wild Blue Mystery series. As all writers know, every time you hit send on a book, it takes a little piece of you with it and stirs up a jungle of butterflies. This book was exactly like that – but different. The Conned Lady is the last book in the series that started my writing career.

To tell the truth, I’ve thought about ending a series for a while now but there were so many unknowns:

·       How would I do it?

·       What would happen to my characters?

·       How hard would it be?

·       Will my readers be upset?

·       Will that mean I can never revisit those characters again?

When I started writing Book 5, I hadn’t intended to end the series just yet. I had plans for one more book but the characters had other ideas. This one wrapped up so many things that it left me no option! Once I got to the final climax, the next move was for them to all live happily ever after. Who was I to argue with an organic, natural ending to the series?

What would happen to the characters? Life will go on even though the readers and I will no longer be a part of it. Working out what would happen to them next was so easy. The last chapter truly wrote itself.

I truly hope my readers are not upset. I was prepared to struggle with that last chapter and saying good-bye to a long list of old friends that I’ve worked with since I first started writing about their adventures around 2010 then published in 2013 when Books We Love took a chance on The Bookstore Lady. Characters definitely become a part of your life and it’s hard to imagine not having a next book to follow them around and see what they’re up to. At the same time, I still have the freedom to use those characters in future short stories or novellas or even a new book or series should the vision arise.

I guess for me, I think of ending this series much like going home after a vacation. You’ve had a great time with friends but it’s time to go home and get back to work on something else. Since I do have more series in the works, there will always be more endings. Hopefully the next series ender will be as smooth as this one.

Happy reading!

Diane Bator

http://bookswelove.net/bator-diane/




2 comments:

  1. Having ended a number of series I realize how hard this can be and how tempting it would be to find just another story for the characters. Good luck with the next series

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my series ended organically after three novels, but others, like the Curse of the Lost Isle, Celtic legends spanning centuries, demanded up to eight books. Others, like the Chronicles of Kassouk, kept asking me for book after book, then demanded a prequel, an origin story. Nowadays, I try to keep them at three books, but I keep writing in the same sci-fi fantasy universe. Currently writing Book 1 in a new series "Blue Phantom" featuring a hero who was a secondary character in the last book of the Azura Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive