Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Is it sci-fi or horror? by J.C. Kavanagh

 

The Twisted Climb
Book 1 of the award-winning series

I'm well into the manuscript for Book 3 of my Twisted Climb series, but every now and then I take a break from writing a young adult book and switch to.... sci-fi horror. Yeah, I have a fascination for science fiction thanks to Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. And I have a lurid fascination for horror, thanks to Stephen King's Carrie, The Shining, and The Stand. Many of the adventures in The Twisted Climb's dream world have paranormal and horrific features - features that I love to wrap my twisted mind around. Mmmm, delicious.

Lead characters in Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek 
William Shatner as Captain Kirk and Leonard Nimoy as Spock 

The 1978 original cover of Stephen King's The Stand

So when I have an opportunity to write something other than YA (young adult), I wholeheartedly accept. I belong to a writers' group called 'The Wordsmiths,' a very talented group of local authors and poets. To stir the creative pot, our group leader frequently provides story prompts. Last week's storyline choices were:

1. Your character, by chance or habit, peers through a telescope. They see something unusual - what is it?

2. Your character has just checked her lottery ticket numbers and finds that she has all the numbers and is a big winner. What goes through her mind the first hour and what does she decide to do.

Sooo... my twisted mind went to work and came up with this...  

Just one look
by J.C. Kavanagh

 “I know it’s there!”

“It’s not there – I’ve inspected the entire quadrant.”

Ellie drummed her fingertips against the cold, metal desktop. “Well, I saw it yesterday and the day before, so, it’s got to be there. Dying stars don’t disappear in a day.”

Her new colleague, Freizen, shook his head. “I know that – you forget my specialty is in galactic death.”

Ellie deliberately turned her head to one side and rolled her eyes, preventing Friezen from witnessing her sarcastic response. Galactic death is his specialty – ahaha! She held back a laugh, turning it into a quick cough.

Friezen leaned toward her, his one eye seeming to grow larger with each passing second as the single pupil replicated over and over until it appeared as multi-faceted as the arachnid species found on earth. Only this wasn’t earth. This was a galaxy far away where humans were called ‘alien.’ On this planet, there were only spider-like beings – creatures with a single eye and eight hairy limbs. Ellie waved a hand in front of her face. “You don’t scare me with your alien eyeball,” she said softly. “We came in peace, remember?”

Friezen shifted his body back, allowing his single eye to roam over her human body. Slowly, the pupils merged to one and Ellie knew he had overcome his fight-and-kill mentality. It was always this way with him. Actually, it was this way with his entire species.

Ellie tapped a set of coordinates on the wall-sized computer screen, enhancing the quadrant ten-fold. “This is where you’re pointing the telescope, right?” An image of the starry sector appeared on the wall before them. Bracing hands on hips, she said, “I want to look for myself.”

In response, Friezen waved four of his limbs at the eyepiece of the enormous telescope. “You can take a look – but you only get one look.”

Ellie stepped toward the eyepiece, sidling past Friezen. She was confused at his comment. If that was a dying star I saw and if that really was part of the Milky Way galaxy, then I might have witnessed my own planet self-destructing. But why would Friezen hide that from me?

“Just one look?” she asked. He nodded and pointed once more toward the telescope.

Ellie leaned into the eyepiece, focusing on the spiral-shaped sector. There! It’s there! The dying star was glowing brightly in its final death dance. She turned toward Friezen just as he spewed a massive gob of gossamer web on her face.

“Humans are so stupid,” he said. “But their brains are quite tasty.”

* * * 

I'm not sure which genre reflects this short story, sci-fi or horror. What do you think?

If you're looking for great books to read during the March break - check out my award-winning Twisted Climb series. Action, adventure, suspense, drama and paranormal activities abound!

Stay safe everyone!


J.C. Kavanagh, 
Voted Favourite Local Author, South Simcoe, 
author of The Twisted Climb - Darkness Descends (Book 2) voted BEST Young Adult Book 2018, Critters Readers Poll and Best YA Book FINALIST at The Word Guild, Canada 
AND 
The Twisted Climb, 
voted BEST Young Adult Book 2016, P&E Readers Poll
Novels for teens, young adults and adults young at heart 
Email: author.j.c.kavanagh@gmail.com 
www.facebook.com/J.C.Kavanagh
www.amazon.com/author/jckavanagh
Twitter @JCKavanagh1 (Author J.C. Kavanagh)
Instagram @authorjckavanagh

 


4 comments:

  1. Not a fan of horror, but I enjoy sci-fi and good writing. Thanks for sharing your scary alien with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vijaya! I thought Friezen the arachnid alien was pretty scary too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! Nasty alien. I can't read or write horror as I'm too susceptible to nightmares but as a sci-fi that sounds interesting and also slightly comical, especially the last line. Happy writing in whatever genre you decide on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Tricia. Happy horrors perhaps ? 😉

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive