Saturday, May 21, 2022

My Travels in France by Diane Scott Lewis

 


To purchase my novels and other BWL booksBWL


Currently writing a novel that takes place in Brittany, France, I yearn to travel there to research. But with Covid still creeping about, that is impossible. My husband is leery to fly, and I don't blame him

In 2003 we threw caution, and money, to the wind and traveled to France for an important (old) birthday of mine. We stayed in Paris on a quaint cobbled lane. 
 
The novel I was writing at the time involved a young woman in the eighteenth century returning to Paris after the French Revolution. I wanted to walk where she would have walked.
15th century street, the Latin Quarter


Paris was amazing, our room tiny but perfect. We ate in cafes, strolled along the River Seine. Browsed booksellers, visited museums. We chatted with an older Frenchman over cognac. He once lived in California. The entire French experience.
But I didn't ask for ice in my too-warm drink until he did!

We took a tour out to the palace of Fontainebleau on my birthday. It took the sting out of growing older. Now it seems so young!
That evening a French café owner sang "Happy Birthday, Madame," to me over a slice of tiramisu.

Author in front of the palace


My heroine had to go to the Luxembourg palace to ask Napoleon to release her lover. We got to take a tour, sneaking into the back of one that just happened to be going in. It was conducted in French, but we managed.

Luxembourg Palace


Before the journey, I learned just enough French to embarrass my self. But it's true, if you try to speak their language first, they'll chime in with English to help you out-or speed you along.
Napoleon's Senate chair, Luxembourg Palace

A wonderful trip, worth every Euro. We planned to return, but now I want to visit Brittany and Normandy to research the German occupation of WWII. One of these days...
Author and husband near Fontainebleau 



Diane lives in Western Pennsylvania with her husband and one naughty dachshund.

To find out more about her and her books:  DianeScottLewis




3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful trip. Hope the memories will help with your new book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Diane. Although France is my native country, I don't return often enough. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited Paris and the French Riviera, but I would very much like to visit the Normandy coast. One day maybe...

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive