Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Saying goodbye to an old companion by Diane Bator

 


Let me preface this by saying I am NOT a tech person. I’ve been learning, but it’s a slow process!

But recently my old Acer has not been performing to peak capacity in spite of an upgrade to our internet. It’s not a lot of fun trying to do Zoom, Skype, or other calls when the person at the other end says you sound like a robot or there is a delay between your sound and image. Considering I spent most of 2020 and 2021 doing Zoom calls, I figured it was time for an upgrade.With a heavy heart, I had to get a new laptop. 

My youngest son, being a great tech guy, found me a Dell computer to order online. All I had to do was buy it and wait for it to arrive. Far less stressful for a non-tech person than going into a store and figuring out all the acrynyms and numbers. I'm a word person and easily distracted by the shiny stuff rather than the important stuff. I was so excited to set it up and reached for the instructions, just as a guideline mind you.

This is what I found:

 

Thankfully, my old laptop still functions AND I have a smartphone or I’d be on my own!

There were two things I checked for before I even plugged it in:

  1. There are USB ports! I’ve heard from some people they bought new computers without. This makes my life 100% easier already!
  2. The keyboard is the same, just smaller. Whew! I once had a keyboard that confused the daylights out of me because it was in French!

Okay, so I plugged in the new computer and… It talks! Next step was to find the volume control because it also talks LOUD! That is in a different place on the keyboard.

After dozens of nosy questions, and all the “I agree you can collect my data that you will likely collect anyway”, my new computer took a few minutes to enjoy a coffee and get set up. Okay, I had the coffee. The laptop told me to leave it alone while it thought for a few minutes.

I have to admit. Very fast set up. And now I need to return to the laptop to add all those passwords, move over documents, etc. Funny thing about that. With so many programs on the cloud, I’ll need to load less onto the actual laptop – even though it has a great deal more memory than I’ll ever have!

Deep breath. This is the part I struggle with the most.

Leaving my old computer who has become like an old friend.


Yes, the new one is streamlined, connected to everything I could need, and much faster. The old one has been at my side on trips to BC, to the lake, wherever I may roam. Poor thing should have it’s own frequent flyer miles! She might still make a few trips out to the lake this summer.

But the new one…she calls my name. Speaking of. In a book I’m currently working on, the protagonist has named her computer Mabel. Maybe…just maybe…I’ll settle on a name for my new sidekick.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for joining me!

Diane Bator

https://dianebator.ca/


7 comments:

  1. Have fun with your new friend. I also have a new one and thank heavens it does not talk to me but could if I turned on the voice. My techs are wprking on accessing my Cloud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Turning off the voice is my next project! Best of luck!

      Delete
  2. My laptop is a few years old, and I still remember the change. I still don't trust the cloud. Although it backs up my work automatically, I like to back up my WIPs on a stick. I know the stick will not disintegrate without a trace. I also recently installed Windows 11 (a free beta test version) and I can't use some of my old programs. Bother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! I don't trust the cloud either.

      Delete
  3. I want to cry every time I get a new computer. If my new one starts talking to me, I'll shoot it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the crying part! We're easing into this slowly. No shooting so far...

      Delete
  4. I can commiserate. My 5-year old computer is slowing down. I hate the file transferring and cleaning out duplicates. The worst is buying new versions of the programs that don't gave good free versions and the old ones are not compatible with the new system. Keep on writing,

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive