Friday, December 2, 2022

Down the Research Rabbit Hole by Diane Bator

 

To buy:  Click Here

Spoiler Present Alert!!

This time of year, many writers are reeling from the challenge of National Novel Month (Nanowrimo) in November. The big goal is to write 50,000 words in 30 days. Or whatever challenge writers would like to do. Some choose to write less and some push themselves to write more. Either way, the month ends with all or part of a great new novel or novella.

One of the challenges of Nanowrimo is not to spend time doing research, but actually writing – with a little research on the side!

So here I am. With a great new novel (Book 3 in my Glitter Bay Mysteries!) and had time to do some research. Not for the book I was working on, but for the one I want to write next.

I have an idea to write a Hallmark-style book about a woman who runs a small business making and selling candles and bath items. My research has run the gamut from learning online to playing with essential oils, bath salts, and candles. I figure if I’m going to go that far down the rabbit hole, I might as well have fun with it and create a few Christmas gifts while I’m at it!



Have I tested my creations? Oh, yes! There’s an old adage that nearly every writer has heard:
  Write what you know. How could I possible explain the scents or the textures of the items my character creates when I have no idea how they actually smell or feel? I've even figured out a name for my brand - and might even use it in the new book.

That and I have a good excuse to make a mess and some gifts.

My favourite items so far is a lovely Pink Lemonade Sugar Scrub and a simple bath salt that you can scent with any oils you like. The recipes are below!

Pink Lemonade Sugar Scrub

1 cup of sugar

½ cup oil (almond, olive oil, or coconut work best)

½ teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional - helps preserve your scrub and provides extra softening)

15 drops lemon essential oil

1-2 drops red food coloring (optional if you want the pink color)

 

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix, adding more or less oil to your liking.

Store in an airtight container.

Since this recipe doesn’t contain preservatives, use it within a month or two

To Use:

Scoop a small amount of scrub in your hands with a spoon.

Scrub all over your hands or feet – or wherever you’d like a little extra softness. Allow your scrub to sit on your skin for 3-4 minutes. Enjoy this time to rest and relax.

Rinse well, and then pat dry with a soft towel.


https://www.suburbansimplicity.com/pink-lemonade-sugar-scrub/


Simple Bath Salts

1 cup Epsom Salts

½ cup Baking Soda

15 drops of your favourite essential oil

Combine all in a mason jar or bowl and pour into the tub under running water.

Sit back and enjoy!

 


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had fun during your research. I often pull down my epee when I'm researching a fight scene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect time of year to do some pampering research and make some unique gifts. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive