Monday, December 19, 2022

It's Not Downtime by Helen Henderson


 

Windmaster Legacy by Helen Henderson
Click the title for purchase information

Recently, while scanning the local paper, a particular piece caught my eye. The author had some great advice. During the holidays, he suggested creating a home inventory by videoing each room and closet, and reviewing life insurance beneficiaries and automobile policies. As a historian, I especially appreciated the recommendation to label black and white photographs. (I would add any other family-heritage images.) I have to admit that I am guilty of not following the advice myself. The article was correct when he stated that while you may know the people in the image, not everyone else in your family does. Which can lead to information being lost and images tossed away.

In the same vein, making a video recounting family events, your childhood, thoughts on the year past, or inspirational hopes for the future makes a special present for future generations.

There was one thing in the article that I disagree with. The implication that the time between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day is "downtime." True, there might be a day or two off from work or attendance at a football game, but that "extra" time away from the office is not spent on the couch eating bonbons.

Decorating the tree and the house, shopping for meaningful presents, and maybe a party or two eat into the time away from the office. The holidays no longer mean cooking for a crowd of twenty or thirty. I have to admit reaching the age when I am not the invited elder expected to do nothing but show up, however there are still special dishes to be prepared.

Whatever your holiday traditions, may your holidays be full of peace and joy. And from Lady Ellspeth, Lord Dal, and the rest of the characters from the Windmaster Novels, a Turn's End Wish.

To purchase the Windmaster Novels: BWL

~Until next month, stay safe and read.  Helen

 

Helen Henderson lives in western Tennessee with her husband. While she doesn’t have any pets in residence at the moment, she often visits a husky who have adopted her as one the pack. Find out more about her and her novels on her BWL author page.

3 comments:

  1. IWe scanned over 800 photos into digital images this summer. So many of the old photos had nothing on the back to identify the people in the pictures. Photos are so important for those who are writing life stories to spark memories of family members and locations. Those who could identify the ones in the pictures are gone now. Happy Holidays to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent time iwth my grandaughter a few years ago and identifying people in photographs with her. We did mark on the back who people were when we knew them. I agree with the downtime remark. it's an up time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good reminder of keeping track of old pictures. I have been lacking in this area. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive