Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Libraries at Christmas

 



Here in Bellows Falls, Vermont, we're getting ready for our annual Holiday Party, the first one in a couple of years. We are so excited. Some local musicians are going to come and play old-time music. My fellow Friend of the Library Leslie and I will be leading a Christmas music sing along. We'll have treats and a pick your own present raffle. 

Lots of great choices!

My son-in-law Teddy make cute tags for the raffle gifts


My donation is two of my BWL YA novels and a bead ornament made by a local Abenaki craftsperson.


Do you have a favorite library story?

I grew up in a house without books, so the library was where the stories lived. I couldn't wait to get my library card. To achieve this passport to wonder, I had to be able to write my full name. I had a long last name, and like many young children, I was slightly dyslectic. I practiced and practiced, but as the librarian watched, I had a crisis in confidence over which direction the "b" in Charbonneau went. I hesitated. This prim, kind lady gave me a hand signal that opened up my world! Big thanks to her.

Happy Season of Light from Patience and Fortitude welcming all to the NYC Public Library!

6 comments:

  1. Libraries were always interesting. My house was filled with books though but libraries were important. I recieved my first library card at age three and began to read every book on the shelves in the children's section. Keep writing and enjoy the party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love picturing you as a 3 year old pouring over War and Peace, Janet!

      Delete
  2. I was an avid reader even as a child, and libraries were my sanctuary. My mother thought I should not spend so much time wasting my time with books. Fortunately, one of my teachers, to whom she was complaining about my excessive reading, told her to let me read, that I was learning many new things, even while reading fiction. I will always be grateful to that teacher. Yay for libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family were all avid readers but now I think about it, they must have passed their books on as there was no actual bookshelf in our home. Once I found my way to the library nobody could deter me, opening each new book was like stepping into another world.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive