Thursday, February 16, 2023

Dirty laundry challenge, by J.C. Kavanagh

 

A Bright Darkness,
Book 3 of the award-winning Twisted Climb series

Valentine's Day is now behind us, but I still believe that love should be celebrated all year round. Your special person should be told every day that they are special; your family should be told regularly that they are special, in fact, if you are blessed with pets, they love to hear it too (though the act of feeding/petting/playing is really an act of love).

So one way I demonstrate the love for my partner is to wash his dirty clothes. I am the Master Launderer. To help me fulfill this chore, all I ask of him is three things:

1. to place dirty clothes in the hamper

2. to ensure socks are separated as he like to wear double socks in his work boots

3. to empty all pockets.

Fairly simple requests, don't you think? Well...

Five minutes before I bring the clothes hamper to the laundry room, I give him a heads-up.

"Is your laundry in the hamper?"

"Yup," he replies.

I peek into the spare room he uses as his 4 a.m. dressing room. Sure enough, there's dirty t-shirts strewn on the bed and on the floor there's dirty, doubled-up socks and gitch. 

I check his bathroom. Hanging on the hooks behind the door are three pj bottoms, two t-shirts and a pair of gitch. Missing is the partridge in a pear tree.

I gather the dirty specimens and proceed to the laundry room.

"You did empty your pockets, right?"

"Yup," he replies again.

By now I'm convinced he's forgotten (on purpose) the three simple requests from the Master Launderer. I pull out a pair of his jeans and check the pockets.

Good grief.


The 'empty' pocket contains two quarters, one loonie, one previously washed unused band aid, two echinacea capsules, one drywall screw and one lip balm.

Does he deserve a good old-fashioned scolding? Probably. Will I? Nah. I'm the Master Launderer and he is not.

Besides, I'm a buck-fifty richer.

Update on the P&E Awards

The final book in the Twisted Climb trilogy, A Bright Darkness, placed third in the Best Young Adult book category! You need to get your hands on a copy... the action doesn't stop as Jayden, Connor and Max are tasked with releasing the lost souls trapped in a world below the dream world: the Un-world. In my totally biased opinion, the conclusion is truly epic. 

Stay safe everyone and remember to tell the ones you love that you love them :)

J.C. Kavanagh, author of
The Twisted Climb - A Bright Darkness (Book 3)
and
The Twisted Climb - Darkness Descends (Book 2) voted BEST Young Adult Book 2018, Critters Readers Poll and Best YA Book FINALIST at The Word Guild, Canada
and
The Twisted Climb, voted BEST Young Adult Book 2016, P&E Readers Poll
Voted Best Local Author, Simcoe County, Ontario, 2021
Novels for teens, young adults and adults young at heart
Email: author.j.c.kavanagh@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/J.C.Kavanagh
www.amazon.com/author/jckavanagh
Twitter @JCKavanagh1 (Author J.C. Kavanagh)
Instagram @authorjckavanagh

3 comments:

  1. Master launderer used to be one of my titles, too. Now that I am single, my cat gets all the love. He is my sweet furry Valentine. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the wealth uncovered. Enjoyed the memories that surfaced while reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always curious and filled with wonderment at moments that are comical, yet precious. Hope mine brought a smile to your face, Janet. :)

      Delete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive