Saturday, April 22, 2023

Book club input that shaped my writing



A few years ago, I met with a book club and was "buttonholed" by one of the attendees at the end of the discussion. "You've got this old sergeant as your protagonist. He's a widower, and you've hinted at a romance between him and a female character." She went on, intensely and at length, explaining how that spark was going to blossom into a mature and slow-paced romance in the following book. I loved that she'd become engaged with the characters enough to want an evolving relationship between them.

After that exerience, I started listening more intently to the words of the people at book events, libraries, bookstores, and book clubs. I started catching sometimes passing comments about something the readers liked or disliked in my books. The feedback has been 99% positive with the negative often asking how I could put such a distasteful event or character into a book. To be honest, those "negative" comments are also vital input, telling me that I'm effectively creating bad guys and gripping scenes. Those attributes are as important as loveable characters and touching scenes, when used in an appropriate ratio.

A recent book club met a few miles from the setting of "Fatal Business". The group was academically eclectic, from an English teacher to a bookstore owner, and a county judge. The discussion was upbeat and fun. One question surprised me. "Who writes the dialogue between your two female protagonists?" I replied that I wrote all the dialogue, with minor "tweaks" from my beta readers, editors, and proofreaders, who are predominately female. The questioner went on, "I find that hard to believe because the dialogue between C.J. (Charlene) and Pam is the way two women actually speak to each other when there aren't any men around." I was shocked, but the entirely female book club were all nodding. "It's like you were a mouse in the corner listening in on their/our conversations."

One of the members who had recently moved from a large city and retired in rural central Minnesota questioned the accuracy of my character rushing into a dangerous situation without backup. Before I could reply, the judge explained that in this rural area there are sometimes only two cops on duty covering 1.400 square miles. "Rural cops aren't like city cops," she said. "They have to be self-reliant, and they don't have the luxury of waiting for backup in a tense situation. They act." (Thank you Judge Martin)

To be honest, an author never knows quite what a book club will be or how it will unfold. On several occasions, I was invited for a dinner and discussion. Other times, like this most recent meeting, I spent time sitting around a table talking about the book and answering questions. One all-male book club asked a few questions, then dismissed me so they could start their serious drinking. "We're not sure if we're a book club with a drinking problem, or a drinking club with a book problem."

In every case, book club meetings are fun for me and the readers. They get insight into my thoughts, writing process, the characters, and the future for the series. I get a wonderfully supportive, interesting, and engaging discussion with smart, attentive people who enjoy books. What's not to like about that?

Speaking of listening to my readers, I heard repeatedly that people were disappointed that Floyd Swenson retired from the Pine County series. I hope my handling of Floyd's character in "Taxed to Death" resolves your concerns.

Check out "Taxed to Death" and my other books at:

Hovey, Dean - BWL Publishing Inc. (bookswelove.net)


2 comments:

  1. Being part of a book club conversation sounds kind of fun! Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book clubs are sometimes a great experience and sometimes not. At one, I was asked when I would write a real book, not those silly romances and mysteries.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive