Sunday, June 4, 2023

Character Inspiration #3: Prairie Fire by Julie Christen


This is more about being humbled (which in turn led to inspiration) by several people during one moment in time. It was the event that lit the spark within me for the Nokota horses. And that spark became a flame that continues to burn like a prairie fire in me.

MN Horse Expo. State Fairgrounds. I go every year. Faithfully. It’s like Horse Christmas. All things horses - shopping, clinicians, exhibitions, classes, and breed demonstrations. My favorite is the breed demonstrations. Each breed at the Expo gets about 10 minutes in the coliseum to show off their best “breed standard” qualities. Many of the stables put on quite a fine show. Some come out in great numbers and perform a drill team routine set to thrilling music. Others have several riders come out advertising the wide variety of disciplines their breed is capable of performing. Western, English, hunter/jumper, dressage, driving - you name it. Their outfits are smart and sharp or showy and flowy. An announcer reads a script provided by each breed’s representative which covers a bit of history and breed descriptions.


One year, however, which I’m inclined to say (and not lightly so), changed my life. It also earned me my “Most Humbling Moment Award” when the Nokota horses, and the people behind them, won my heart. 


It happened over a decade ago now.

I remember like it was yesterday.


The coliseum quiets. Hooty windpipe music flutters and echoes throughout the vast coliseum. I wait for the next demonstration. My expectations are set high based on those I’ve seen so far. I look at my program. “Nokota” it says. I’ve never heard of this breed. I am anxious to learn.


And then they come in. 


It’s not organized. There are no fancy outfits. They are wild and unruly - horses and riders both. There are no saddles. No bridles. No music routine. Just pounding hooves and flying hair. And lots of it.


I am not impressed. To me, they’re doing a sloppy job of showing off their breed. I can’t believe someone hasn’t fallen or hurt themselves. Plus, it seems no one has so much as run a brush over these horses, much less a comb through their manes and tails. They all look shaggy and rough. Again, horses and riders both.


The worst part, though, is me. Deep down, behind my Judgy Judgerson attitude, especially since I am no great rider myself, I am secretly, inexplicably, ashamedly jealous


I look around the crowd to see if anyone else is reacting like I am reacting to this train wreck display. Not one. 


So I look again. 


And this time, I look hard at the chaos happening in the arena. And I listen. 


I hear the announcer tell their story - their heartbreaking, inspiring, historic story of strength, honor and hope. I listen intently to the details of two brothers - Frank and Leo Kuntz - giving their lives to preserve the future of these descendents of Sitting Bull’s war ponies. I hear the hooves pound an earthy rhythm that seeps into my very being. I hear it said that you don’t choose a Nokota, the horse chooses you - they are searching for their person. I hear the riders whoop happily to each other and to their horses. And at some point, some moment in time that feels vague yet is anchored with clarity in my mind, it all begins to flow in slow motion right before my eyes. 


Wild beauty. Friendships. Partners. Play. Joy. Trust. Love.  Horses and riders both.


The manes and tails are couriers of the North Dakota prairie wind. Their strong, feathered legs perform athletic feats, twisting and turning at the whims of their riders. They stand, still as stone, as their riders climb to their feet confidently, almost haughtily, onto their backs. Then take off like shots when their riders pop back down. Their spirit is palpable. They are doing a PERFECT job representing this breed and all of its most special qualities. I am ashamed at how quickly I judged. 


And now, I am in awe. It washes over me in a wave of emotion that tingles on my skin, then pounds in my heart, and finally … brings tears to my eyes.


Again, I look around to see if anyone else is reacting as I am. Not one. This moment is just for me. To do with as I see fit. So from that moment forward, I decided to learn and learn and learn about these horses, their story, their people. 


And so began my love affair. 

And so it continues today. 


Years later, I discovered that some of those wild riders were Frank Kuntz’s daughters. And never did I imagine at the time that I would one day be a part of their Nokota family. Two horses from their herd, Red Eagle and RainyDay, have found their person in my husband and me. I am blessed.



In
Nokota Voices, I’ve transformed this memory into fictional form, which you will hopefully read for yourself someday. Maybe the Prairie Fire girls will light a flame in you!


To learn more and to order your copy of Nokota Voices, check out my website and BWL Author Page.


Here’s to good people doing good things. Enjoy the ride!



2 comments:

  1. Read the book and loved the story and the horses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your passion for these horses transpires through your words. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive