Friday, June 2, 2023

Entitled 2: Giving your book a title to remember by donalee Moulton

 

Visit donalee Moulton's BWL Author page for book purchase links


Last month we talked about giving your story a title. Unlike article titles, book titles are usually the domain of the writer. This may be because the writer has a closer connection to the topic, the editor wants the writer to do the work, the writer and editor see it as the author’s prerogative. But just because the book writer usually develops the title doesn’t mean the editor will accept it. They will tell you if they don’t like it – and why. They will tell you if it won’t work – and why.

Let’s look at what constitutes – usually – a good book title, and then I will use my recent BWL book as an example.

Because book titles are one of the first things a potential reader sees, they need to hook that reader. It’s recommended the title give away a little something about the plot and the nature of your book. It is going to be action-packed, romantic, whimsical.

Here are the three main ingredients in a strong title:

Ingredient#1

Length. Shorter is better. Shorter needs to be more memorable, more powerful. Some experts advocate for the one-word title, but one-word titles are more limiting for search engines. Fewer examples are found. The recommendation: three or four words.

Ingredient #2.

Impact.  The title should draw the reader in because it is evocative, it speaks to what lies within the pages of the book. It sets the stage for what they can expect.

Ingredient #3

Uniqueness. Titles that we can remember, titles that stand out from the crowd are winners. This may be a play on words, a pun, a jab, a literary reference, a phrase that speaks to mind, heart and spirit.

In short, titles are essential to the sale of a book. And they are not easy. Let’s look at one title I’m very familiar with.

My newest book is Hung Out to Die. It’s a murder mystery. The main character is CEO of a cannabis-production company in Elmsdale, Nova Scotia. As I was writing this book, a funny aside started to take place involving a word the main character had never heard before: Chunderfuck. In my mind, that became the title of the book with asterisks replacing two of the letters in the last syllable. I then built on this concept. Future books would have similar fun but profane titles: Numb Nuts, Dick Wad…. You get the idea.

It was not meant to be. As I was starting to shop around my book, I realized the title might lead agents and publishers to conclude the book would be darker, edgier, grittier than it is. Indeed, it’s actually funny. I also didn’t want to turn off publishers before they even read the book. I went with a working title instead: So, A psychopath walked into a bar. In my mind, the book would still be called Chunderf**k, an issue I would raise with my publisher as soon as I had one. Which I did. My publisher – BWL – was more than open to changing the title. But not Chunder, and not for the reason you might think. Search engines don’t pick up asterisks.

Dammit.

So the book is called Hung Out to Die. It’s a play on words, drying plants is linked to cannabis, and the victim dies by hanging. It’s short, it’s got some oomph, but let’s face it. It’s no Chunderf**k.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on titles. And asterisks.


2 comments:

  1. Titles for me often come fairly easy. Sometimes not. Editors sometimes change the title. I discover most of mine during the writing of the book. The titles of the Mrs. Miller mysteries are easy since the firstone Murder andMint Tea. The one I'll be working onnext will be Murder and Iced Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another element to consider in a title is the first letter. Still many sites list titles alphabetically, and if your title starts with a Z, guess what? It will be listed last. Also, when writing series, I like the titles to be recognizable as part of the series. Like in my Chronicles of Kassouk series, all the titles (except the prequel's) include a big cat. White Tiger, Red Leopard, Black Jaguar, Blue Lioness, Snow Cheetah... And my most recent series, involving angels, has "angel" in each title. Angel Mine, Angel Fierce, Angel Brave.. and my new series: Angel Ship, Angel Guardian (Oct.23), Angel Revenge (oct.24) etc. In these cases, the title came before the story was even outlined. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive