Friday, June 30, 2023

New Brunswick the Summervale Ranch by Eden Monroe




 There was not a cloud in sight as I made my way through the old shire town of Hampton, New Brunswick, and passed over the steel bridge dutifully spanning the Kennebecasis at its narrowest point.  A river of many moods, the name Kennebecasis is believed to be from the Mi’kmaq word Kenepekachiachk meaning little long bay place. The Mi’kmaq are among the original inhabitants in the Atlantic Provinces on the east coast of Canada. These indigenous peoples navigated the Kennebecasis in their birch bark canoes for thousands of years, and I think of that today as I glance at its pristine waters passing quietly under the bridge.
Onward I went at a leisurely pace that day onto Route 121 a scenic drive with the river stretching southward to my left, a glimmering silver ribbon meandering through the valley on a lazy summer afternoon.
Just minutes away sat the rural community of Bloomfield whose first settlers began to arrive more than two hundred years ago, determined to carve out a new homeland in the rich dark soil. Time has altered that landscape considerably since those early days, now with its neatly manicured lawns as green as an Irish morning, hand in hand with fertile farmlands and untamed fields dotted with colourful wildflowers. It is a wind-tossed vibrant dance of beauty gently sweeping downward toward the river.
The winding  blacktop felt like a welcoming red carpet because I’d come with a special purpose in mind. I wasn’t just a Sunday sightseer, I was there to find a setting in this idyllic countryside for my romantic suspense novel, Barlowe Pride, and I well remember the moment I spied the perfect spot; the moment I visualized Summer Vale Ranch where most of the novel would take place. 
From there it was just a matter of allowing the ranch to take shape in my mind’s eye. It would be a sizeable family spread, land fought for and won, still holding its own under the enduring stewardship of stalwart men and women who stood strong in the face of adversity. As the ranch slowly materialized in my imagination the storyline also began to flow as seamlessly as the sparkling Kennebecasis. It is an experience like no other when the characters step forward one by one to announce themselves. Not all would play a happy role, but each one would stand in their own truth as they breathed life into Barlowe Pride and the Summervale Ranch.

Finding a safe spot to pull over onto the shoulder of the road I reveled in what continued to come into sharper focus. Casual observers who raced past could not see what I saw of course … the ranch house with its wide veranda perfect for relaxing with a glass of frosty cold lemonade on a sultry August evening, or catching a breeze with the easy to and fro sway on the old wooden glider. Generations of Barlowes have known the pleasure of this veranda I thought, shaded on one corner by an enormous lilac bush, a friend to hummingbirds and butterflies alike. It would also be home to a robin’s nest, the bright turquoise eggs having hatched into hungry nestlings in the second brood of the season.

Yes this was Summer Vale Ranch and I cast my gaze on verdant pastures where herds of prime beef cattle grazed contentedly in warm sunshine, or cooled themselves under the wide canopy of a leafy shade tree. And of course the gnarled trunk of the massive oak was encircled by a typical pasture rock pile, a reminder of the backbreaking work of rock picking done by those who not only had the necessary fortitude to tame this land, but also understand its purpose. After all, every rock left to lie in a pasture covers a mouthful of nourishing grass.

I watched as a few gossamer clouds began to float through an ocean of cerulean blue, offering intermittent respite from a dazzling sun. Perfect! I smelled fresh cut hay curing in the heat, waiting to be raked and baled, the hum of a tractor already at work harvesting this natural bounty. Songbirds sitting atop fence posts or perched in the old apple tree at the bottom of the lane, sang with authentic abandon. No choirmaster here, as I sat roadside in paradise. I smiled as Summer Vale Ranch fully emerged amid this beautiful imagery, the natural backdrop for the story that was about to be captured forever within the pages of a book. I thought about those people, those characters, so eager to tell their story, gently urging me to be on my way to begin that work. It was a beautiful summer day in Bloomfield, Kings County, New Brunswick, properly celebrated only if I succeeded at my task, because thought alone is of very little use if not followed by action.

I remember that day so well as glancing around I drew more of that delectable countryside into my mind, grist for the mill, fodder for the power of creativity and certainly the inspiration for Barlowe Pride, book two of The Martel Sisters trilogy.

And then I was off to do the bidding of my imagination which I knew would give me no peace until it came to fruition. But like any author, there was no greater burden I could have hoped to enjoy. 

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, evocative setting for your story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A charming tale of finding that "perfect setting" for your story! I could see it, right along with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found the perfect setting in reality, not in imagination

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive