Saturday, July 22, 2023

A "touch" of humor


A reader (who I'll call Larry) texted me early this morning to say he'd paused while reading the "Peril in Paradise" ending because he was laughing so hard. Deeply into a draft of "Whistling Fireman", an upcoming October release, I tried to recall any humor I'd inserted into the "Peril in Paradise" ending. The mystery was quickly solved when he sent me a screenshot of the page where Doug Fletcher and his former boss were discussing the state of Fletcher's kitchen cupboard. In the book's opening, Fletchers had purchased a new house but were dispatched to Hawaii before unpacking the boxes. In their absence, Jill Fletcher's best friend, Mandy, had unpacked for them, arranging things in the "proper" manner, as taught during Mandy's debutante training.

Doug was taken aback by the alphabetization of their spice collection. The reader accompanied his text with a picture of their spice collection. His wife had also alphabetized their spice cupboard. Larry contended that his wife was not a debutante, but more likely suffered from OCD.

I LOVE receiving that kind of feedback. Knowing that some quirky line sparked someone's laughter is heartwarming. 

One of the hallmarks of the Doug Fletcher series is the banter between Doug and Jill. They argue, kid, and cajole each other. They suffer through embarrassing moments with their families. I try to make the characters "human", with the real strengths and faults we all have. The Fletcher reviews often comment on the humor and how real the characters feel. One reader said he'd like to invite Jill and Doug over for a beer and conversation. Another wished her family was as nice as the Fletcher and Rickowski families are. A third reader approached me, expressing concern about the future of Jill and Doug's relationship after an uncertain moment between them at the end of "Washed Away." Luckily, they were back in the following book, kidding each other about Texas barbecue and a flirtatious waiter.

The Fletcher books aren't humorous cozies. There are dark moments with detailed discussions of death scenes and bodies. That said, I like using intimate moments, family interactions, and humor to soften the darker parts of the books. As a reader, I hope that approach appeals to you. As I said in an earlier post, I'm just recording what Jill and Doug say to me.

Hovey, Dean - BWL Publishing Inc. (bookswelove.net)



1 comment:

  1. What a heart-warming experience to have a reader share this kind of reaction to your story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive