Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Help! My Characters Lied. by Helen Henderson


Fire and Amulet
Helen Henderson
Click the title for purchase information

As a writer who tends to be more plotter than pantser, the relationship with my characters usually develops in a certain way. We meet and the characters tell me a little of their background and hopefully their goals. The one thing they don't always tell me up front is their name. But that is the subject of an earlier post. Then after some preliminary plotting, the characters are comfortable enough to trust me and they take over the telling their story and I am related to the position of scribe.

However, even after I pried their names out of them, the characters of Fire and Amulet fought me every inch of the story. 

When Fire and Amulet was released, I thought the fighting was over. The first sections of the sequel's journey were set in my mind and I had a cast of characters so the plotting part was done and it was time to become an explorer, following the trail that had been laid until the path ends. At that point the characters were supposed to take over and all I had to do was follow as they blazed a trail through the twisted jungle.

Then Brial and Karst said, "Stop the wagons. We are important too. Tell our story." I agreed and started the 2024 release, Fire and Redemption.

As to the title of this post? While Karst's background and his kin were uncovered in the first book, Brial's extended clan was not. But they need to appear in the new work ... and so the fight begins again. 

Several characters in the first book are Brial's kin (a fact they failed to mention earlier.) Now they need to be meshed into the rest of the clan. Blending the positions on the family tree and relationships between the village and trader branches means a battle between what had already been said and the unsaid. 

Even after the family tree is charted, there still needs to be calculations to make sure the ages work. A grandmother at twenty does not fit the culture. And a seventy-five-year-old mage would not be as spry and active as the story requires.

The information the characters told me in Fire and Amulet and what I recorded in the series bible is not necessarily true. Surprise, surprise, my characters lied. I'm off to check out the past and see how old Betrys, Keyne, and Feldt really are. Then its drawing Brial's family tree.

To purchase Fire and Amulet

~Until next month, stay safe and read.   Helen

Helen Henderson lives in western Tennessee with her husband. While she doesn’t have any pets in residence at the moment, she often visits a husky who have adopted her as one the pack. Find out more about her and her novels on her BWL author page.

1 comment:

  1. As a half-plotter/half-pantser, I had characters also lie to me. In my WIP, where the hero doesn't remember his past, I'm just starting to realize who he really is. Fortunately, the book is still in the rewrite stage, so I can go back to the beginning and redefine him, according to this past he never knew he had. I wonder how regular people judge us, being so obsessed with fictional characters, but they are the people surrounding me every day. To me these characters are real, and worth the study. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive