Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Who Were The Flappers by Eden Monroe

 

Click link below for details and purchase information

Great change was the hallmark of the time period I chose for the Canadian Historical Mystery Who Buried Sarah.

For many people the roaring twenties was the age of anything goes, perhaps an unsurprising attitude given that the Great War, a global conflict that took the lives of close to twenty million people, military personnel and civilians combined, had finally come to an end.

Also, the deadly H1N1 influenza pandemic had mercifully subsided. That devastating outbreak was exacerbated, among other things, by troop movement during the First World War and claimed at least fifty million lives worldwide  - perhaps even more as official records were not kept in those days. In fact it killed more people than the 14th century’s Black Plague. (washingtonpost.com)

Having just withstood the COVID-19 pandemic ourselves we can relate to the misery of such an illness and its effect on global populations, as well as the enforcement of sweeping social restrictions and our relief when it all began to ease after three long years. So it’s not difficult to understand why people all over the world were in a celebratory mood in the 1920’s, and ravenous for change.

In addition to Canadian women being given the vote on a limited basis, the 19th Amendment in the US provided voting rights for women - also discriminatorily limited, about the same time. Another factor that influenced the shifting mores was the taste of freedom that millions of women experienced during the First World War when they were required to fill manufacturing and agricultural positions on the home front (theworldwar.org). When the time came to return to the confines of home and hearth many pushed against the limitations of traditional roles, eager to maintain their hard-won personal freedoms, however insubstantial they were upon later reflection. But women continued to enter the workforce in ever-increasing numbers, albeit often employed in what were widely accepted as “women’s jobs”, many also opting for urban habitation instead of rural.

Amidst all of this social chaos an iconic symbol of the 1920’s emerged. The flapper became emblematic of a new attitude among women. Flappers were characterized by non-conforming behaviour that just a few short years earlier would have been considered outrageous. Off went their long hair in favour of a short bob, oftentimes above the ears; they wore plenty of make-up, and smoked. They danced with wild abandon in jazz clubs, the skirts of their lavishly embellished dresses that barely skimmed the knees, flying recklessly askew. The name flapper is thought to have perhaps originated from the flapping arm movements while doing the Charleston, the dance made famous in the Broadway musical comedy Runnin’ Wild. With their feathers and jewels and devil-may-care attitude, caution was thrown to the wind in all directions.

Male admirers loved this new modern woman and consequently there were no shortage of suitors. The behavior of these often amourous young women was considered scandalous. Nevertheless they happily embraced their sketchy reputation, flouting the social conventions of their time in a brash, anything goes lifestyle that included driving cars and unfettered personal expression. A fast-talking flapper always spoke her mind.

It was the realization of much longed for freedom, yet these footloose revellers had to skirt a major roadblock designed to curb just such riotous behavior and repair any number of concerning societal ills.  Prohibition was put in place in both Canada and the United States in roughly the same time frame, intended to halt the consumption of alcohol. Nevertheless the rebellious who wanted to drink usually found a way to do it, flappers included, because the party seemed to continue regardless of stringent state-imposed regulations.




I wasn’t alive then but like anything else I’m sure there were degrees of flapperism if I may. At the heart of it all was the pursuit of freedom whichever way one chose to express it, for the most part within the confines of the law. The flapper craze was certainly a popular trend adopted by countless young women who may not have embraced the entire lifestyle, but loved the daring fashion trends and broad ideology of the movement.

Sarah (and her best friend Fanny) identified with the exciting new flapper look and what being a flapper represented in terms of independence and spontaneity, but not necessarily the wild, lascivious lifestyle. The seismic shift in women’s fashion and liberated mindset fit their free-spirited personalities to a tee. They were heavily influenced by the social extremes of the roaring twenties, although their interpretation of what it actually meant to be a flapper was tame by comparison. Still, Sarah and Fanny thought of themselves as modern women whilst choosing traditional paths.

It’s interesting to note too that while flappers themselves delighted in challenging the status quo of their time, they never entirely abandoned traditional roles and values because in a surprising salute to conventional customs, the end game of those spirited young women was to find a husband and settle down.

To Sarah, being a modern woman meant the freedom to speak her mind and be her own person as is evident in this exchange with former suitor Dalton McLagen:

She nodded. “Very true. How is the legal profession treating you these days, Dalton? Are you seeing much of the inside of a courtroom?”

He shrugged. “I’ve partnered on a couple of substantial cases in the past year, other than that it’s just the usual spade work one does as a legal professional. It’s not all fireworks. There is a fair amount of plodding involved.”

“You’re not saying you’re sorry you chose law, are you? I can’t imagine another field you’d be as well suited for.”

“I’m quite content actually. And you? Any regrets for having chosen to become a teacher?”

She shifted her position, distracted by a hummingbird interested for a moment in her red jacket. “I loved it for the short time I was doing it. I adore children.”

“So you’re done teaching after just one year? More’s the pity I guess, but there’s never been a working McLagen wife in recent history, so I suppose you’re going to continue with that tradition.”

“I can’t continue to teach even if I wanted to.”

“I’m surprised my brother hasn’t already laid down the law in that regard anyway.”

She studied him for a moment. “No one lays down the law to me, Dalton. I have my own mind. This is 1927. Women think for themselves now, modern women that is and I am a modern woman.”

He held up both hands in a defensive gesture. “Whoa! You’re still a feisty little thing, aren’t you?”

She folded her arms, resigned to having this conversation with her future brother-in-law. No matter she wasn’t in the mood for it, but she wasn’t ready to return home just yet either. Tempers wouldn’t have cooled enough, including her own. She’d have walked to Fanny’s except she’d gone into Saint John with her aunt and uncle. So here she sat.

“I’m not feisty, I speak my mind is all.”

“I applaud that, Miss Estey. It’s an admirable quality.”

She ignored the compliment. Perhaps if she were cool enough he’d hopefully give up and leave. She remembered just as quickly though that once Dalton sank his teeth into something he wasn’t inclined to let go easily. She sensed there was something he was itching to say and sure enough he got right down to it.

“Sarah, I have a question for you. It’s one you may think you’ve already answered, but you haven’t. Not to my satisfaction anyway. Why did you let me go before you’d given you and I, us as a couple, a fair chance? I know you said something about compatibility or some such thing, but I figured you were just saying what you thought I needed to hear. Tell me the truth, what did Connor offer you to steal you away like he did? Whatever it is, I’ll go him one better if you’ll call off the wedding.”

“Call off the wedding! Not you too!”

“Me too?”

She wasn’t about to reveal what had taken place at her dinner table tonight. But in any event, she knew full well there wasn’t a shortage of eligible young women in the area. There were plenty to go around so why was she being pestered? First Thomas, and then Dalton. Lovesick fools both of them.

“Now why in the world would I call off the wedding when I’m going to marry the man I love?”

“You didn’t answer my question.”

“I believe I did, Dalton. Connor didn’t offer me anything. You see, it’s really very simple. We fell in love. There was a connection between us that wasn’t there with you.”

“I’m not in the habit of losing out to my brother,” he announced, folding his arms firmly across his chest. “We’re very competitive you know. It was a real feather in his cap that he was able to take you away from me, and don’t think he isn’t gloating about doing so.”

“Gloating?”

“Yes, gloating. And don’t expect me to believe he didn’t offer you some sort of incentive.”

“I don’t think I like what you’re insinuating.”

“All right then, I won’t insinuate. I don’t think I’m telling tales out of school when I say both my mother and father think you’re a gold digger. First one McLagen son and then the other. Doesn’t that sound a little over-ambitious when I say it out loud?”

“First of all, I know what your mother and father think of me and honestly, it doesn’t bother me. I feel sorry for them they can’t see what a good person I am. I do wish we could have all gotten along. I was certainly prepared to do so, but I have no control over what other people think. What’s really bothering them is that I come from a poor background and that’s something I have no control over.”

He chuckled, seemingly enjoying himself. “You’re brave, I’ll give you that. Coming into the McLagen family on such a sour note is like heading into a war zone, unarmed. Doesn’t sound too smart if you ask me.”

She met his sardonic gaze head on. “Oh, I’m armed, don’t worry about that. I don’t scare easily, Dalton. That’s something that’s always been in my favour. Like I say I wish it could be another way, but the stage is already set and there’s nothing I can do about it. I’ve tried to befriend your parents, but they aren’t interested. So be it.”

“I would think if I were bringing you into the family as my bride, I’d be doing a much better job of paving the way, but good ole Connor seems content to let the chips fall where they may. He always has been all for himself. You made a serious mistake in judgment when you jumped ship for him. Time will prove me right, you’ll see.”

She straightened the lapels of her jacket, noticing one was slightly crooked. “Time will tell, won’t it? I expect Connor and I will have a long, happy life together.”

“Dream on, darling, because that’s not the way I see it at all. I know Connor. I’m his brother. I grew up with him. He is Mother and Father’s pet and they will give him anything he wants, which is why they’re indulging him in this. They’re hoping, even at this stage, either you or Connor will come to your senses and end this farcical engagement. I guess that would leave Connor to make the break because from where I sit you’ve got a death grip on that brass ring. It would take a mighty strong tug to get that out of your greedy little hands.”

She chuckled derisively. “I’m a terrible person? Greedy? A gold-digger? If that’s all true, why are you interested in me? If you weren’t, you wouldn’t be here talking to me right now, would you? Admit it!”

“I do admit it, I’ve never led you to believe otherwise. The difference is I would talk some sense into you. I would brook no nonsense. I would see to it that you kept your teaching job, pull some strings to make that happen. I would encourage it. Let you pay your way and since you’ve already indicated that’s what you’d like to do anyway, I would say half the battle has already been won. So again, what’s the scheme? The Connor I know is more interested in besting me than bedding you, so he must have really sweetened the pot.”

She laughed. “No financial incentive, Dalton, if that’s what you’re implying. You’re overthinking things as usual. You see, he didn’t need to offer me any incentive, comparing the two of you did the trick. You haven’t got half the personality or charm that your brother does. Connor would not need to pay a woman to leave you for him, they’d just do it out of natural inclination.”

“You’ve got a common mouth.”

“If that’s how you describe a woman with a mind of her own, and not afraid to speak it.”

“And what, my dear, is the attraction in that? A wife should stand quietly by her husband’s side, not constantly compete for the spotlight. If this wedding goes ahead as planned, Connor will rue the day he ever married you. I see nothing but trouble ahead for him the poor sop.”

“But you could tame me, is that what you think?”

“You and I are a lot alike, Sarah. I make no apologies for the kind of man I am. Connor is weak. He will never be the success our father was in business. You, Sarah, need someone strong, like me. I see your imperfections, all of them, but I wouldn’t let you control me the way Connor will. You’re too strong, too much woman for him. Tell me, has he even kissed you the way you were meant to be kissed or is he still playing the perfect gentleman?”

Her face flamed. “That’s none of your business.”

“Ahh, so he hasn’t.”

“I don’t like what you’re saying.”

“But I thought we were going to speak our minds, or is it just you that has that privilege?”

“You’re loathsome.”

He chuckled, and it was a dangerous sound. “Say what you will, but I know you wished you had let me kiss you like that when you had the chance. I tried on more than one occasion if you recall, and you always played the innocent.”

“I never played the innocent!” she stated indignantly, realizing at once that she had willingly stepped into his trap. “I mean….”

Dalton threw back his head and laughed. “Now we’re getting somewhere. I knew with a little prodding the real Sarah would show her hand. Oh, how I wish I had kissed you properly. It’s not like you wouldn’t have known how.” He shook his head. “And now all of that is going to be wasted on my weak little brother. What a pity. You may be wrapped up in a small package, Sarah, but you’re all woman. You’re exactly what I need in my life.”

“I don’t want to be part of your life. I already have everything I need in my own.”

“You have what you think you need in your life. You’re settling for a bank account, but you’ll fall short in the bedroom. I guarantee it. I think of you and I together. I would make your blood boil, Sarah. And you wouldn’t exactly be poor. It’s a win/win situation as far as I can see and if you weren’t so stubborn, choosing a man you can wrap around your little finger, then you’d admit it.”

“I’ll admit no such thing. You are beastly!”

Dalton laughed again. “Honesty has its price.”

 


2 comments:

  1. Interesting post today. Flappers. I remember sorting through some old clothes in my grandmother's attic and seeing my mother's and my aunt's flapper dresses

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Charleston Era, the short skirts, the short hair, the rhythm and the smell of freedom. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive