Friday, September 8, 2023

Meaning of Flowers by J. S. Marlo

 


Seasoned Hearts
"Love & Sacrifice #1"
is now available  
click here 



 
 

  

I was having lunch with a friend, and I was telling her I needed to weed my flowerbeds. She asked what kind of flowers I grew. My answer: pretty flowers?

I know the names of some flowers, like roses, tulips, daffodil, poppies, petunias, lilies... but I don't really pay attention to their names. I choose my flowers according to colours, shapes, and scents. She proceeded to tell me flowers have meanings. I knew red roses meant love, but for the rest, I wasn't too sure, so I did some research... in case I decide to add those kind of details in a future story.


When deciphering the meaning of a flower, its colour is as important as the flower itself.

Red: Red flowers are the most popular to send to someone. They represent love, passion, and affection.

Pink: Pink flowers are sent to friends or love interest. They represent femininity and playfulness.

Yellow: Yellow flowers are sent to brighten a home or cheer up a friend. They represent joy, happiness, and friendship.

White: White flowers are sent to someone who's getting married or welcomed a baby. They represent purity, humility, and innocence.


Here are the flowers to send according to the occasion or the meaning you would like to convey.

Love: red roses, red tulips, red carnations, dahlias.

Friendship: yellow roses, freesias, alstroemeria, chrysanthemums.

Gratitude: pink roses, hydrangeas, sweet peas, irises.

Sympathy: white roses, lilies, orchids, poppies.

Celebration: peonies, lisianthuses, daffodils, calla lilies.


My two favorite are lavender and lilac. Both for their colours and their scents, but not their meanings.

Lavender means distrust and Lilac means joy of youth.

There are also birth flowers, like there are birthstones. I was born in September. According to the chart, my birth flower is Morning Glory. Well, that's interesting because I'm anything but glorious in the morning.

I'll go weed my flowerbeds one last time before the frost kills all my flowers. Take Care & Happy Reading!

J. S.

2 comments:

  1. My yard has two types of flowere roses and peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also flowers can mean different things in different cultures. In Japan, the cherry blossom is the symbol of the Samurai, beautiful and short-lived, and the peony represents good fortune... although Japanese poetry sometimes uses red peonies as images to symbolize the blood from a sword wound. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive