Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Coffee or Tea? I Drink Disappointment and Nanowrimo by Vanessa C. Hawkins

 

 

 Vanessa Hawkins Author Page

    

Picture this: a group of passionate writers, fueled by caffeine and a slightly concerning amount of determination, gathered in a room like a coven of literary wizards.

I can't...

Okay... well, that's fair. It's Nanowrimo month after all, but let me tell you, there's a lot more magic involved in writing than you might think. Our wands are laptops! Our potions are bottomless mugs of coffee!


But can we talk about muses for a second? You know, those elusive creatures writers chase like Pokémon, hoping for a spark of divine inspiration. Some days, your muse is a relentless chatterbox, bombarding you with ideas at 3 AM when you're halfway between dreamland and your pillow, and other times its a silent fart, stagnating and dreadful and stanky. No one knows you're stewing in lack of ideas, but they can smell it all the same.


Luckily that hasn't been me. October was filled with plenty of workshops (some that I conducted for cold hard CASH!) radio interviews, book fairs and markets. I've chosen to ignore Nanowrimo this year, only because I really just don't want to do it. If you don't know what Nano is (us pros call it nano because we can't be effed to say all the letters despite the fact we are scribes) It's a monthly writer thing in November where you're supposed to write 50k words.


If you do it, good for you! It's hard. If you don't... well, I don't blame you. Most of the time I go in strong, but end up sitting in a lack of smelly and silent inspiration by the end of it. It is good for getting words out on paper though, and some people thrive on deadlines. I, however, like to procrastinate...


What about you? Do you do nano? Do you know what nano is? What's your choice of beverage when working? Coffee? Tea? ... ... ...Water?


Does anyone still drink water these days? When its not mixed with beans... sugar and cream? If so well then good for you! I bet you probably think you're better than me, huh?


100 percent.

2 comments:

  1. Although I don't NaNoWriMo anymore, I respect those who do. It can be a strong motivating factor to write. Unfortunately, quantity does not mean quality. Nowadays, I prefer quality. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did Nano ever. That's not the way I write. I once rough drafted a book in two days. Came out to be 35,000 words of rough. Easily lengthened to full length,

    ReplyDelete

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive