Saturday, November 4, 2023

Forever Fields: A Poem




 A few years ago, one of the most memorable Nokota(R) stallions, which I had the privilege to meet in person, passed away. And it just made me so sad. 

They called him Papa Smoke. He was beautiful, proud, blind, and magical. Just to look at him brought visions of long-ago, windswept prairies. His thick neck, powerful stance, and unruly mane commanded respect. His soulful, unseeing eyes lay hidden beneath his wild forelock -- his sight stolen by another stud's kick. His mystical aura was something one had to experience to truly believe. 

I'm not sure how old he was, I just remember thinking he died too soon. But wild horses don't tend to live as long as domesticated, pampered, blanketed, vetted horses. And that made me think of all the great herd leaders and mares who've come and gone, creating the Nokota bloodlines I admire so much. 

So I imagined a space in our universe for them. A place where they go when their time here is done, but a place where I can imagine them living anew. 

Forever.

Papa Smoke
https://www.nokotahorse.org/the-breed-registry.html

Here's to all of them. 

Forever Fields

By Julie Christen

 

In a place of endless prairie

And sweeping grassy land,

Runs a rare, historic herd

We'll call the ancient band.

 

The winds eternal carry them

O’er butte and valley floor,

Whisp’ring tales and legends

Of those who’ve gone before.

 

Overo and dun,

Jet black and stealy roan,

Strawberry and silver,

Now forever home.

 

Grey Wolf, Hawkeye, and Target,

Black Fox, Midnight, Bad Toe,

Wolf Vixen, Katz and Jumping Mouse,

Our noble Grandpa Smoke.

 

In endless youth they kick and frolic,

Race and bite and play

They echo hist’ry’s lessons,

Within those here today.

 

Among the flow’rs, within the rain,

Part of the gentle sun,

Through windswept manes and feathered locks

Their story still lives on.

 

I honor those who’ve traveled to

A place where I imagine

Forever fields of majesty

Preserve Nokota legend.

 

2 comments:

I have opened up comments once again. The comments are moderated so if you're a spammer you are wasting your time and mine. I will not approve you.

Popular Posts

Books We Love Insider Blog

Blog Archive